Requisition ID: ADM010351
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry's most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
Merck Animal Health is offering a summer internship opportunity at our De Soto, Kansas R&D facility as a member of the animal services department. This position will aid in developing new solutions for protection of swine, canine, bovine, and equine against infectious disease pathogens. This position will work directly under the Attending veterinarian. In this role, the intern will learn and perform husbandry and clinical procedures used during the animal phase for the development of vaccines, which may include but not be limited to treatment of sick animals, tissue harvest, phlebotomy, and research building management and care.
Summer Internship appointments are generally 9-12 weeks in duration. Interns will receive an industry competitive stipend. This position does not provide housing or relocation assistance.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Candidates must be in the process of earning a BA or BS in Animal Science, Agribusiness, Veterinary School, Animal Health or related degree programs
- Candidates must have completed at least 2 years of college course work by June 2019
- Candidates must be available for a period of 9-12 weeks beginning the last of week of May 2019.
- Candidates must have critical thinking skills to carry out instructions and make decisions within scope of authority.
- Problem solving skills involving several variables.
- Ability to follow policies and procedures and be an active member of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent English communication skills, oral and written.
- Ability to adapt communication to international audiences.
- Positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Leadership roles during college.
- Additional language fluency highly desirable.
- Experience working in research of animals and applicable safety procedures.
- Experience in animal husbandry and care.
- Experience in clinical veterinary medicine and surgery.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Administrative Svcs Generic
Employee Status: Temporary
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City