The Future Talent Program features co-ops that last up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research Labs can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Who you are: You are a data scientist with interests in population health. You are inherently curious with a strong desire to design and prototype applications for data analytics and interactive visualization in order to reveal relations in data beyond the obvious.
Where you fit in: You will collaborate with and support a diverse set of scientists in the Center for Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE) as you seek to push the boundaries of use of real world data to support product value evidence and other business imperatives. You will help identify business and scientific opportunities as you broaden the scope of collaboration with other functions in the research laboratories. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with IT professionals as you seek to turn meaningful findings into solutions that may be used in care management and clinical decision support. You will do this in a vibrant research environment, with a strong innovative culture.
The candidate must be hands-on and action oriented with a demonstrated ability to deliver on data-driven research projects. The candidate has demonstrated ability to actively listen, integrate input from diverse sources, and collaboratively translate medical or business questions into data and analysis requirements and a clear path forward.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Design and prototype applications for data analytics and interactive visualization
- Collaboratively develop analysis plans based on clinical or business questions, and lead their execution through the use of existing analytic approaches or the development of novel ones.
- Interpret data analysis results in clinical or business context, and articulate the implications of the results to the business function
- Collaborate with team members to meet project checkpoints and accomplish team objectives
- Support the development of statistical models & methodologies in order to quantify, forecast, predict health metrics of interest
- Effectively communicate findings and methodological approaches
Key competencies, skills, and attributes:
- Advanced knowledge of a subset of analytical approaches (ex. machine learning, deep learning, statistical analysis, predictive modeling) and the desire to continually learn and grow your analytical skillset
- Ability to work with large scale medical data
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to communicate complex matters in laymen’s terms
- Must be able to work well in collaborative environment
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidates must be current graduate students (MSc., MPH, etc.) in biostatistics, epidemiology, computer science, informatics, mathematics, or related field with a substantial statistical component.
- Candidates must be able to work full time for up to (6) months starting early to mid 2020.
- Candidates must have advanced hands-on knowledge of Python, SQL, AWS
- Candidates must have statistics and basic mathematics skills
- Candidates must have effective communication
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have advanced training in machine learning/deep learning
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: