The Global Public Policy and Human Health Office in D.C. is looking for extraordinary individuals.
Join a program that provides exemplary graduate students with the opportunity to work on meaningful assignments and gain real world experiences.
Our company is seeking a co-op for its Public Policy and Government Relations team. The co-op will support advocacy across a variety of regional and therapeutic area policy topics and work closely with multiple teams within the department. This is a paid position based in Washington, DC.
- Assist in research, review, and analysis of U.S. and/or ex-U.S. regulatory policy issues and proposals;
- Perform basic collection, analysis, and synthesis of data related to the biopharmaceutical industry and relevant regulatory processes;
- Develop talking points and backgrounders;
- Observe and report out summaries of Congressional hearings, legislative mark-ups, and briefings;
- Attend internal meetings and strategy sessions;
- Develop materials for internal and external use;
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
The Fellow/Co-op will interact with various stakeholders in Washington, DC, including trade associations, multi-stakeholder coalition, government agencies, and policymakers to gain first-hand policy experience.
Key Success Factors:
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, a team player, and have excellent editing, organizational and writing skills. Flexibility, responsiveness, and an ability to work under pressure both independently and collaboratively. Candidates must have a strong scientific or policy background, and be enrolled in or recently completed graduate school in a relevant area (health policy, public health, life sciences, medicine, etc). The candidate will have the opportunity to build policy and regulatory experience by being integrated into each aspect of the Policy and Government Affairs department throughout the tenure of his/her internship. As such, the candidate should have a strong team orientation and excellent interpersonal skills.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a relevant Graduate degree program (health policy, public health, life sciences, medicine, etc);
Professional Experience Requirements:
- Drug development, health, regulatory, science policy, trade policy or FDA experience;
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills;
- Strong relationship building and collaboration skills;
- Commitment to high quality work products;
- Excellent editing and writing skills, with an ability to strategically and creatively process information;
- Curiosity to stay abreast of current industry trends;
- Ability to take projects seriously and produce work quickly, but also curious enough to ask questions;
- Self-starter with the ability to work autonomously or as part of a team.
Our DC co- program lasts 4-6 months ( fall and spring terms)
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: