The Future Talent Program features Cooperative (Co-op) education that lasts up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research & Development Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our Company is a global healthcare leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines, and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where our company has codified its legacy for over a century. Our company's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our company is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Our Research & Development Division is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take our company's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Our Research & Development Division Global BioAnalytical (BA) group within the Preclinical Development department, (PCD), is seeking students for a 6 month Co-op experience. The Global BA group at our company provides quantitative analysis of biologically derived samples for all our company's discovery and development programs.
Learning opportunities for the prospective Co-op are:
- Involvement in the development and execution of protein/peptide quantitation assays by LC-MS/MS for therapeutic protein/peptide products.
- Gaining hands-on experience in using automation platforms, mass spectrometers, UPLC or UHPLC, immunoprecipitation (IP), solid phase extraction (SPE).
- Hands-on exposure to laboratory work in the form of bioanalysis experimentation utilizing different platforms.
In addition to laboratory skills, the Co-ops will have the opportunity to be engaged in scientific discussion and interpretation of data. The Co-op student will have an opportunity to present their research results in both oral and written formats.
We are seeking Co-op candidates at all levels with strong academic performance, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a cross-collaborative environment.
Location: West Point, PA
This is a full-time Co-op position. Housing subsidy is not available as part of this program and must be funded 100% by the student.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Candidates must be currently enrolled undergraduate senior student pursuing a bachelor's degree OR a currently enrolled graduate student pursuing a master's or PhD Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics, Biology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related field
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to (24) consecutive weeks beginning in May or June of 2023
- Candidates must have completed at least (2) years of studies toward bachelor's degree by June 2023
Additional Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have basic laboratory skills to carry out biochemical techniques for sample preparation, such as, basic pipetting, dilution techniques, ligand binding assays (ELISA, etc.)
- Candidates should have hands on experience in sample preparation and biological techniques such as protein, peptide, preparation for mass spectrometry analysis as well as cell culture, gel electrophoresis, protein digestion and western blotting. LC MS protein analysis or proteomics experience is a plus
- Candidates should have basic knowledge of general chemistry, organic chemistry, and protein chemistry
- Candidates should have basic understanding of pharmacokinetics and immunogenicity
- Candidates should have the ability to follow procedures and thoroughly document experiments
- Candidates should be highly motivated, self-starter and significant interest in scientific research
- Candidates should have strong interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- Candidates should have strong time management to allow parallel pursuit of multiple objectives
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: