At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. OCA, marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®,\" is approved in the U.S., EU and Canada for certain patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first product to be approved for PBC in over twenty years and our team is proud to have been pioneers in providing the first second-line treatment option to patients with such critical need. The Ocaliva® launch in 2016 also marked Intercept's successful transition from a development-stage company to a fully integrated commercial organization with continued growth.
In February 2019, Intercept reported positive topline results from the Phase 3 REGENERATE study of OCA in patients with liver fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). REGENERATE is the first and largest Phase 3 study in NASH - a chronic disease that threatens the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and Intercept is among the leading companies focused on the disease.
Based on the positive results from REGENERATE, Intercept submitted the first new drug application (NDA) for a NASH treatment to the U.S. FDA in September 2019. The FDA has accepted Intercept's NDA, granted OCA priority review and set a June 26, 2020 Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) target action date for OCA. This is an exciting time for Intercept, as the organization prepares for a potential approval and launch in NASH. As part of this effort, Intercept is beginning to build a new commercial organization, and this opportunity in Sales will play a pivotal role in preparing the company for the successful anticipated launch of OCA's second indication.
The Academic Territory Business Manager (ATBM) is responsible upon product approval for achieving sales and business objectives with Intercept's top customers within teaching hospitals and academic centers. The ATBM will also be responsible for supporting and growing relationships with the assigned institution and key individual customers. The ATBM will play a key role in developing and executing our territory strategy and must be able to navigate complex hospital and academic center systems, as well as work collaboratively with Intercept Commercial team members to shape and drive product priorities within the account. The ATBM reports into the local Regional Business Director (RBD).
The successful candidate must be able to:
* Build relationships with key customers and deliver appropriate product and patient access information
* Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Intercept's product, patient access program, distribution models, patient and HCP issues, business strategy and competitive environment, and stay abreast of key market access issues/trends
* Problem solve, set and own a plan, and adapt the plan as needed in order to drive initiatives to completion in a flexible and impactful manner
* Achieve territory-level corporate goals for teaching hospitals and academic centers
* Support key opinion leaders (KOLs) and execute company-sponsored speaker programs
* Drive collaboration and facilitate coordination between cross-functional teams to ensure a seamless customer experience for stakeholders within teaching hospitals and academic centers
* Communicate frequently with other ATBMs and TBMs across the country and cross-functional counterparts such as marketing, sales ops, market access, and training to create alignment of POA plan, focus on strategic drivers, and sharing best practices
* Lead stakeholder engagement and shape NASH strategic priorities in partnership with key teaching hospitals and academic centers
* Navigate complex teaching hospitals and academic center environments; be able to identify influential stakeholders, identify their needs, and build strong B2B and B2C relationships with them
* Have a mindset of continuous learning and development and seek career growth opportunity where appropriate
* Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
* Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
Experience and Skills
* Bachelor's Degree
* 3-5 years of proven success in a Specialty sales role
* Hospital/Institutional selling experience
* Graduate Degree
* Sales experience in Academic Centers
* Advanced level of proficiency with CRM, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
* Ability to develop and sustain customer relationships
* Proven ability to work collaboratively with a cross functional team to execute a plan
* Ability to analyze data, recognize patterns, and use a data-driven approach to inform strategic decisions
* An understanding of market access payer and specialty pharmacy landscapes
* An understanding of and ability to navigate academic medical center/hospital systems
* Strong business acumen, problem solving, and business planning skills
* Extensive knowledge of compliance requirements for interacting with healthcare providers
* High achievement, drive, self-motivation, integrity, and willingness to mentor others
* Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity
* Understand the legal and compliance environment