Animal Care Technician
For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an Animal Care Technician for our Insourcing Solutions site located in Washington, DC.
The following are responsibilities related to the Animal Care Technician:
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations, animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Maintain accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas as required by Institute and facility.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Facility Specialist III or facility veterinarian.
- Identify and sort animals by sex.
- Strictly follow all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas, including room or facility personnel entry; personnel protective equipment use, spraying in all equipment and materials into controlled areas.
- Receive, inspect and put away incoming animals; ensure and provide for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
- This position is 30 hours a week, M-F, benefits eligible to include vacation and sick leave.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Animal Care Technician position:
- Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Experience: Preference will be given to candidate with previous animal caretaking experience.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) preferred.
About Insourcing Solutions
Charles River Insourcing Solutions℠ can streamline research by delivering operational and cost efficiencies through the strategic insourcing of GMP, GLP and non-GLP research services from discovery through safety assessment. Insourcing Solutions℠ provides you with the ability to maintain control of your facility and expertise while leveraging available space.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 13,000 employees within 80 facilities in 23 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 80% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2017.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Technician, Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Laboratory, Technology, Science, Research