Requisition ID: TEC001410
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
As part of the API and Drug Product Category team, the Associate Director, Strategic Sourcing leads global strategic sourcing to ensure compliant and cost competitive active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) supply to Merck/MSD Animal Health Manufacturing. The Associate Director plays a leadership role in the development of global sourcing strategies, category management, contract management, risk management and stakeholder management within this category.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- People leadership- May lead and be responsible for direct reports. Expected to lead and influence peers, as appropriate, in the leadership of projects or other initiatives (for example, cross functional team members on a sourcing project team).
- Procurement Leadership:
- Leads development, recommendation/presentation, and implementation leadership of category sourcing strategies and ensures alignment, compliance and delivery of business requirements/needs.
- Collaborates with Supplier Relationship Managers to support their needs form a strategic sourcng perspective.
- Project Management:
- Leads strategic sourcing projects (using an established sourcing management process) to establish sources of supply via market intelligence gathering and analysis, competitive sourcing events (RFIs, RFP/RFQs), costs analyses, strategic analyses, due diligence/compliance assessments, and contract negotiations.
- Leads cross-functional sourcing teams (key manufacturing support functions) to execute sourcing projects
- Proactive Cost Management: Leads development, negotiation, and implementation of cost savings projects
- Stakeholder Engagement/Management: Leads engagement with the business stakeholders (at same organizational level or one to two levels above and across manufacturing support functions such Supply Chain Management, Quality Assurance, Technology, Environmental Health and Safety, Finance, Regulatory Affairs, Legal) across the world in support of strategic sourcing and relationship management.
- Strategy Development/Implementation: Create breakthrough strategies which deliver quick wins and generate legitimate business value. Drive innovation.
- Continuous Improvement: Ensure that every supplier relationship is established with intent of future continuous improvement, and to lead and manage the measurement and review process to ensure delivery of expectations.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree preferably in Engineering, Science, or Business fields
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least Seven (7) years lf procurement experience, within a manufacturing environment or a manufacturing company.
- Experience working with suppliers and customers across the world ("global" experience) in the pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people from many different disciplines.
- Project management experience specifically related to strategic sourcing projects
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to deal with ambiguous and dynamic situation
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous and complex projects requiring frequent communication, organizing/time management and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, negotiation, analytical, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, problem solving, and team building skills/experience and sensitivity to diverse cultures
- Ability to work independently with minimal coaching
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Post graduate degree in Engineering, Science, or Business fields
- Minimum of Five (5) years of hands on work experience in strategic sourcing, API or direct materials management, contract negotiations and execution
- Ability to translate strategic vision into tactical plans and manage the change required to execute.
- Ability to work with senior management with professionalism and discretion.
(US/Puerto Rico Only) In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. If you have any questions, please contact your HRBP or Staffing Consultant.
Job: Technical Procurement
Other Locations: Rahway, NJ, US; Kenilworth, NJ, US; Upper Gwynedd, PA, US; West Point, PA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey