About the Department
Novo Nordisk’s Market Access and Public Affairs team engages diverse stakeholders across political and healthcare landscapes to forge solutions that drive patient access to innovative products. We strive to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients with diabetes, obesity, growth hormone deficiencies and rare bleeding disorders through mutual wins for both Novo Nordisk and our Market Access customers. Our passion for helping people live better lives and our award-winning product pipeline can only be as effective as our ability to provide life-changing information to healthcare providers, key stakeholders and policymakers. Our Market Access and Public Affairs professionals ensure that the latest therapies and products reach the people who need them most, by creating an environment where innovation and chronic disease management drive optimal health outcomes. Are you ready to realize your potential?
The Regional Lead of State Government Affairs sits within the State Government Affairs Team and covers the Southeast Region. This individual is expected to participate comprehensively in Novo Nordisk's state policy agenda, particularly strategic goals, resource recommendations, leveraging of the Novo Nordisk Political Action Committee, and optimizing consultants. This position will focus on strategic planning, communicating, advocating, and executing a proactive state government affairs goals that advance Novo Nordisk's enterprise strategy as it relates to state legislation and policy. This position will also work strategically to defeat or mitigate actions by local state offices and organizations that could negatively affect our business or patients.
The Regional Lead is accountable for relationships with state level appointees within an Administration and state legislative policymakers. This position will proactively collaborate with internal partners on all aspects of federal, alliance and policy goals. This position serves as one of the company's primary contacts/advocates responsible for developing strategic lobbying plans, as well as communicating and promoting the company's positions directly to state and local officials.
Facilitates cross-functional internal stakeholder teams on SGA policy objectives. Responsible for the development, advocacy, communication and execution of key business and Triple Bottom Line priorities in approximately 4-5 states within a region of approximately 10 states.
Collaborates, where appropriate, with Market Access Account Executives and Field Sales staff to implement state strategies that promote the Novo Nordisk brand and/or issues and/or relationships in the states within assigned region. Oversee activities of contract lobbyists in several states in the assigned region.
Reports to the Team Lead Government Affairs, State. External relationships include but are not limited to: Governors and staff, state Legislators and staff, Public Health officials, including the State Departments of Health, Diabetes Prevention and Control Programs, Medicaid, public employee benefit administrators, Insurance Commissioner and other state agencies.
In collaboration with the Alliance Development team & Policy team, cultivates relationships with business, policy and political organizations, relevant to the geographic region and with local chapters of national patient advocacy organizations, BIO and business and trade groups. Works with various national and regional business, policy and political groups such as the Governors Associations, National Conference of State Legislators, National Black Caucus of State Legislators, Council of State Governments and others.
Manages the relationship with the state arms of major trade associations, BIO and PhRMA, and interacts, as necessary, with many other external parties, including physician and patient groups, state diabetes or obesity advocacy groups and other health-related coalitions, professional associations, vendors, consultants, contract lobbyists and customers, as necessary.
Internal relationships include Legal, Compliance, Managed Markets Sales & Strategy, BioPharm, Medical, Institutional & DCS Sales. Collaborates with Market Access colleagues and may coordinate with Field Sales and other internal NNI stakeholders to implement state strategies that promote Novo Nordisk interests or relationships in the States and to support patient access to Novo Nordisk products in state funded health programs. May be required to develop new relationships and alliances to address multistate policy challenges.
In consultation with Market Access Account Executives, initiates strategies to maximize Novo Nordisk’s positioning on state formularies if there are administrative, regulatory or legislative hurdles.
- Develops and manages proactive and reactive strategies to mitigate risks and identify opportunities for policy goals of importance to the Company to achieve the success of Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) business goals
- Monitors state policy and business environment for emerging issues that affect NNI products or business operations
- In consultation with the Team Lead, identifies and educates internal NNI stakeholders and, as necessary, creates NNI cross-functional working groups to keep all apprised of the status of the issues as they evolve, to assure that advocacy remains informed by current NNI business strategy
- Advocates within assigned states with key government officials, legislative committees and other entities Novo Nordisk’s position on legislative or public policy initiatives of importance to the company and the patients who rely on NNI therapies
- Defines contract lobbyist responsibilities and directs activities in order to execute action plans designed to maximize Novo Nordisk’s impact on policy makers and patients
- Develops strategic plan for geographic region to provide advance insights into risks and opportunities to which NNI may need to respond and develops political intelligence to enable proactive strategic plans for response
- Tracks state legislation and regulation on NNI’s businesses and coordinates with policy team to understand impacts and NNI’s position
- Coordinates with Alliance Development team on cross-functional projects involving outside organizations
- Ensures that state government officials, state legislative committees, and other relevant parties are educated on Novo Nordisk’s position on public affairs issues of importance to the Company
- Proactively initiates and cultivates relationships with state policymakers and their staffs on behalf of Novo Nordisk
- Participates in cross-functional work teams to stimulate effective collaboration and ensure progress toward Novo Nordisk legislative and regulatory objectives
- Develops strategies and spearheads opportunities to help grow Novo Nordisk Political Action Committee (PAC) and assist in the growth of NNI grassroots activities
- Builds organizational alignment on key issues by informing and educating management and employees about external developments
- Strategically manage state government affairs consultants
- Assures strict adherence to lobbying disclosure and other ethical requirements applicable to government relations activities within each state in which they engage
- Maintains beneficial relationships with patient, health care professional, and health advocacy groups, key government officials, legislative committees and other entities that define or influence state policy decisions affecting Novo Nordisk or the patients who rely on our therapies, consistent with and in coordination with the Alliance Development team
- Provides input for memos, educational materials, and presentations, as necessary, for senior leadership
- In collaboration with other necessary internal NNI stakeholders, plans and executes events for state and local officials designed to increase awareness of Novo Nordisk and policy issues
20-30% overnight travel required.
Novo Nordisk requires all new hires, both Field and Office-based, to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. You will be required to upload an image of your COVID-19 vaccine card at the time of hire and/or on your first day of employment.
- A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in federal or state legislative, government affairs, or lobbying consulting firm experience required. Advanced degree preferred
- Advanced knowledge of state government affairs and public policy, including policy analysis and government relations
- Strong planning, relationship building, cross-functional team and leadership skills required
- Demonstrated ability to proactively strategize on how best to advance policy priorities
- Ability to effectively deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals required
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little or no supervision required
- Demonstrated track record of strong advocacy and communications skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills to understand key components of legislation and policy
- Pharmaceutical/healthcare industry experience and knowledge of diabetes, obesity and the diabetes and obesity marketplaces preferred, but not required
- Work with external stakeholder groups or alliance development experience a plus
- Experience within the health insurance space a strong plus
- Proven track record of effective strategic planning, execution and follow up
- Results-focused prior track record required
- Strong interpersonal and communications style with ability to convey passion about Novo Nordisk and our company's public policy goals; ability to generate excitement and enthusiasm among internal and external audiences
- Travel required, including to NNI’s Princeton or Washington DC offices
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.