Requisition ID: ENV000602
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
Responsible for the Site technical and regulatory support and implementation of all necessary measures and initiatives required by federal, state and local regulations pertaining to environment and safety protection. Provides direction and is responsible for planning, developing and reviewing environmental, safety and industrial hygiene programs for research organization supported at the South San Francisco site.
- Provide direction and leadership to direct reports, as required. Mentors environmental, health and safety (EHS) professionals to build leadership and technical skills to improve individual performances. Coach research leaders to enable them to successfully carry out their leadership responsibilities for safety and environment.
Partner with South San Francisco departments and contacts to integrate safety and environmental management systems into every phase of their operations, as measured by performance metrics. Consult with and advise department personnel to provide sound and timely technical and/or administrative assistance in support of projects, procedures, and long range plans that assures conformance with safety and environmental requirements. Assist Palo Alto site EHS leader with similar responsibilities for the Palo facility as needed.
Implement Merck corporate EHS strategy at the site operations level: evaluate numerous competing initiatives, ensure robust process, systems, and resources are in place for all areas of accountability, complete internal audits and self-assessments to monitor program effectiveness.
Prepare, coordinate and present environmental, safety and industrial hygiene, process safety, radiation safety, biosafety, emergency response and/or security training as needed.
Complete all regulatory submissions, notifications, etc. required to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local EHS requirements.
Act as site biosafety officer and/or radiation safety officer.
Maintain liaison with outside organizations, peer companies and federal, state and local agencies as necessary to assure compliance and communication in the areas of emergency response, mutual aid, regulatory bodies, professional societies, and industrial groups.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's Degree required, concentration in Environmental or Safety related technical discipline preferred. Masters/MBA desirable.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 10 years professional work experience coupled with 7 years applied professional EHS work experience in a highly regulated industry.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Strong leadership and change leadership skills.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience managing direct reports, attracting talent & building a strong team.
- Experience sitting on senior leadership teams to set strategy and make decisions for the site.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with regulatory agencies and senior operations leaders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience managing project teams.
- Previous experience as a radiation safety officer.
- Previous experience as a biosafety officer.
- Relevant professional certification(s).
- Lean/Six Sigma experience.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Job: Env, Health & Safety Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: Yes
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland