Requisition ID: PRO018901
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The centralization and deployment of a "big data" infrastructure within Merck has enabled the curation of large quantities of data from "real world" Manufacturing, Analytical, Quality and Process Development. Furthermore, innovations around automation and high throughput technologies have created novel capabilities for generating significantly larger data sets. With the advancement of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, there is now a real opportunity to capitalize on this data to derive novel and actionable insights.
The application of Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence to predict process outcomes and automate decision making is a novel approach to process development. By coupling these techniques with automation capabilities and historical data, substantial opportunities exist to accelerate the development workflow and to develop differentiating strategies. We now seek a highly motivated data scientist, preferably with experience in biopharma industry with exceptional interpersonal skills to join the team.
The successful candidate will work with process development, data engineers, Statisticians and IT experts to develop and advance the following objectives.
- Leverage experience and domain knowledge in bio-manufacturing processes and databases to help identify and define manufacturing analytics opportunities.
- Develop effective means of extracting historical data from multiple sources and set up infrastructure to collate and structure that data
- Identifying best approaches for solving scientific problems in a data driven approach, drive the creation of statistical models to solve specific operational problems, identifying opportunities for operational excellence like reduce cycle time and increase success rate etc.
- Build and prototype tools (dashboards, apps) to provide analytic insights. Develop comprehensive understanding of data structures and metrics, advocating for changes where needed for process improvements
- Utilize novel visualization techniques, enumeration methods and statistical analysis to effectively draw conclusions and determine factors from high throughput, multivariate studies
- Apply machine learning to derive new insights and identify trends from historical data, new development data and external literature. Utilize these insights to recommend optimal process parameters and direct the design and development of processes for future molecules and modalities
- Capable of translating real-world manufacturing engineering problems into analytics formulations and interpreting analytics results with business partners
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Doctorate degree with 3+ years of Data Science experience
- Master's degree and 6+ years of Data Science experience
- Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of Data Science experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in manufacturing analytics. Familiarity and background with pharmaceutical manufacturing processes and operations is a plus.
- Experience with data analysis and modeling methods particularly in their application to process systems.
- Strong statistics and programming background with proven experience delivering on data science and machine learning projects
- Experience in a number of following languages/tools: SQL, Python, R, Matlab, SAS, Java, Spark, Scala, AWS and Tableau
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Map/Reduce, Hive, etc.
- Experience articulating business questions and using mathematical and programmatic solutions to arrive at an answer
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right tools given a data analysis question
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- Demonstrated willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience and interest in recent development in Data Analytics and Big Data applications in Manufacturing such as Industry 4. 0 or Industry Internet of Things (IIoT) is highly desired
- Strong intrinsic problem-solving skills, ability to structure and solve problems and conduct and interpret analysis independently, with demonstrated analytic and quantitative skills
- Proven ability to influence, communicate, collaborate and network across the local organization
- Ability to work independently as well as working in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to generate valuable and relevant ideas, create concepts based on ideas, and develop new solutions based on concepts
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Process Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia