We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
The Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Drug Metabolism (PPDM) department of our Research & Development Division in South San Francisco is seeking a dynamic, strategic-thinking, and collaborative scientist for the Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism and Excretion (ADME) group. The Associate Principal Scientist will be primarily discovery team-facing and be expected to visibly be a key contributor to the multi-disciplinary drug discovery effort for various therapeutics (small molecule, antibody-drug conjugate, peptide, and biologic therapeutics) that are most likely to succeed clinically. The candidate will need to regularly engage with partner functions like medicinal and computational chemistry, translational pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and toxicology. Therapeutic areas will include immunology, oncology, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and ophthalmology.
The responsibilities of the Associate Principal Scientist will be to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment to contribute to the prediction, design, implementation, and analysis of in silico, in vitro, and in vivo studies. Those studies will characterize and build an understanding of key structure-activity relationships (SAR) related to ADME and pharmacological properties, therapeutic disposition, and translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) relationships. The candidate will be able to leverage the understanding of molecular characteristics impacting disposition and tPKPD/E relationships to guide both drug design and implementation of strategy(ies) for the translation of preclinical results to anticipated clinical efficacy. Excellent scientific, interpersonal, and communication skills are required. The candidate will be expected to effectively present their work at discovery team and departmental meetings as well as promote our Company's science through publications and presentations/lectures.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD, MS, or BS degrees in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Immunology, Pharmacology, Engineering, or related science.
Required Experience and Skills:
- PhD (3+ year), MS (+8 years), BS (+12 years) of combined industry and/or postdoctoral (or fellowship) experience focused on providing ADME support for optimization of small molecule, antibody-drug conjugate, peptide, and/or biologic therapeutics.
- Strategically used structure-activity relationships (SAR) related to ADME and pharmacological properties to drive optimization of therapeutics.
- Contributed to development, execution, and fostering of translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) relationships and other useful quantitative pharmacology applications in a discovery setting.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills along with strengths in delivering results in fast-pace environment.
- Technical understanding of ADME assays and instrumental analysis.
- Demonstrated inclination towards recognition in the field, creativity and innovation via a strong publication/presentation record.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience in computational ADME predictions and visualizations (eg, GastroPlus, simCYP, Spotfire).
- Hands-on experience performing translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) software modeling (eg, Phoenix WinNonlin, Berkeley Madonna, and/or MATLAB).
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: