Our Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance team push the boundaries of global healthcare through research and innovation. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, innovative medicine.
At our Company, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly experienced and innovative Associate Principal Scientist with a strong background in enzymology and biochemical/biophysical assay development to join the In Vitro Sciences group within the Cardio-Metabolic Disease therapeutic area at our Company. The location will be with our Research & Development Division at our new site in South San Francisco, CA. The individual will lead by example in the laboratory through hands-on participation in conducting experiments, providing scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, and innovative thinking in the construct of in vitro studies supporting various projects. The individual will also be expected to drive innovation, champion new initiatives, and provide leadership to discovery programs. Successful candidates should possess strong experimental and technical capabilities, have excellent written and oral communication skills, and work productively in a collaborative cross-functional team environment.
- Provide enzymology expertise to target biology and drug discovery in broad therapeutic areas (cardio-renal and metabolic diseases, ophthalmology, immunology and oncology)
- Develop potency, kinetic and mechanistic assays to characterize enzymatic targets and modulators, using sophisticated biochemical and biophysical methods
- Participate in multiple project teams to provide robust scientific and technical support
- Collaborate extensively within and outside of our Research & Development Division to ensure successful project progression
Minimum Education Requirements
- Ph.D. in Enzymology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or a relevant scientific discipline, with a minimum of 4+ years of experience in a Biotech/Pharmaceutical setting.
Required Experience and Skills
- Expertise in mechanistic enzymology, enzyme kinetics, enzyme assay development, strong understanding of complex enzyme modulation mechanisms and SAR for drug discovery
- Highly skilled in the design and development of robust, automatable, plate-based biochemical assays, using a wide range of detection methods (e.g. spectrophotometric, radiometric, colorimetric, fluorescence and etc.)
- Highly experienced with modern biophysical techniques and instruments (e.g. SPR, BLI, ITC and etc.) to measure binding affinity and kinetic parameters
- Broad drug discovery experience with diverse classes of enzyme targets (e.g. kinases, proteases and metabolic enzymes) is strongly preferred
- Good working knowledge on key metabolic enzymes and related biochemical pathways (i.e. metabolism of fatty acids, lipids, phospholipids, TCA cycle and etc.) is a plus
- Good track records in the successful development and implementation of biochemical and biophysical assays for compound screening, complex data analysis, and integrating such data into mechanistic differentiation/optimization of lead candidates
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively to advance drug discovery projects in a highly cross-functional environment
We are a research driven bio-pharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: