We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we 'follow the science' and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
We have an exciting, new opportunity for an Associate Principal Scientist, Health Economics to join our team in London (the UK; preferred), West Point, PA (or Philadelphia, PA, Rahway, NJ; USA), or Zurich (Switzerland).
The Associate Principal Scientist, Health Economics will report to the Executive Director, BARDS (Biostatistics and Research Decision Sciences). He/She will have the primary responsibility for strategic development, use of high-quality economic models and tools to generate business insights and to demonstrate the value of our Company's products to relevant stakeholders, such as payers, health technology assessment (HTA) agencies, healthcare decision makers, providers, and patients.
The Associate Principal Scientist, Health Economics will serve as the HEDS (Health Economic and Decision Sciences) Lead on one or more value evidence team(s), and work closely with the cross-functional team(s) to develop and refine the integrated value evidence strategy and evidence generation across all phases of product development. He/She will also work closely with the HEOR teams in key markets to support local market access. The position will focus on primary care and hospital & specialty care products.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Provision of strategic insights into the development and refinement of the integrated value evidence strategy and evidence generation from the perspective of health economics
- Development and maintenance of health quality global health economic analyses in house or in collaboration with an external vendor to provide critical business insights and to fully demonstrate the value of our Company's products, using established and novel methodologies. The analyses include but not limited to epidemiology analyses, early and late cost-effectiveness analyses, public health analyses, budget impact analyses, and integrated field force tools
- Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to conduct evidence generation and synthesis studies that are used to inform economic models and the value evidence strategy
- Adaptation and/or training of global health economic resources for regional/local HEOR teams to support local HTA submissions and market access activities
- Dissemination of health economic data via presentations at national/international congresses and publications in scientific journals
- Doctoral degree or Master's degree, in (Health) Economics, Biostatistics, Actuarial Sciences, or a related, quantitatively oriented field
Required experience and skills
- Expertise and extensive hands-on experience in conceptualisation, design, development and dissemination of health economic analyses to support internal and external decision-making
- Minimum 3 years' experience in health economics in the pharmaceutical industry, consultancy, or relevant organisations
- Understanding of the market access environment and challenges in key markets (eg the US, Canada, and/or EU-4 and the UK)
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and communicational skills with ability to interact with individuals from a variety of disciplines
Preferred experience and skills
- Strong track-record of innovative HTA submissions and development of health economic resources to support market access activities
- Demonstrated strategic, innovative thinking, and decision making
- Experience in the assessment of economic value of early products
- Experience in cardiovascular/metabolic diseases, acute care, antimicrobial therapies, immunology, and/or neuroscience
- Experience in evidence generation, synthesis and analysis, such as real-world studies, literature research, meta-analysis
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and internal and external networking skills to work in cross-functional teams
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: