Requisition ID: PHA001522
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, strategic-thinking, and collaborative Associate Principal Scientist to join our Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism and Excretion (ADME) group at our Research Lab in Boston, MA.
In this program team-facing role, you will be expected to be a key contributor to multi-disciplinary drug discovery efforts across modalities (e.g. small molecule, oligonucleotide, peptide, and biologic therapeutics). You will need to regularly engage with partner functions such as medicinal and computational chemistry, protein sciences, translational pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and toxicology. Therapeutic areas will include immunology, oncology, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and neuroscience.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Collaborate in a fast-paced environment to contribute to the prediction, design, implementation, and analysis of in silico, in vitro, and in vivo studies.
- Characterize and build an understanding of key structure-activity relationships (SAR) related to ADME and pharmacological properties, therapeutic disposition, and translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) relationships.
- Leverage the understanding of molecular characteristics impacting disposition and tPKPD/E relationships to guide both drug design and implementation of strategy(ies) for the translation of preclinical results to anticipated clinical efficacy .
- Effectively present your work at discovery team and departmental meetings as well as promote Merck science through publications and presentations/lectures
Required Education :
A PhD with a minimum of 3 years experience of combined industry and/or postdoctoral (or fellowship) OR a Master's with a minimum of 7 years experience OR a Bachelor's with a minimum of 12 years experience. Highest degree will be in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Immunology, Pharmacology, Engineering, or related science.
Required Experience and Skills
- Experience focused on providing ADME and PK support for drug optimization across modalities(small molecule, oligonucleotide, antibody-drug conjugate, peptide, and/or biologic therapeutics).
- Track record of successful contributions to development, execution, and fostering of translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) relationships and other useful quantitative pharmacology applications in a discovery setting.
- Technical competency/expertise with translational pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic/efficacy (tPKPD/E) or physiologically-based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling software (e.g., Phoenix WinNonlin, Berkeley Madonna, MATLAB, and/or SimCYP).
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills along with strengths in delivering results in fast-pace environment.
- Technical understanding of ADME assays and PK/PD of both small molecule and biologics.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience in computational ADME predictions and data visualization (e.g., Spotfire).
- Strategically used structure-activity relationships (SAR) related to ADME and pharmacological properties to drive optimization of therapeutics.
- Recognition for creativity and innovation via a strong publication/presentation record
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Pharmacokinetics/Drug Metab
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: no
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston