Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Bio is seeking an experienced bioinformatics engineer who will work with the Data Science team in San Diego or in San Francisco (potential for remote work) to develop robust, high-performance pipelines that can accurately and optimally manage and analyze a diverse set of sequencing and experimental data. A key focus for the bioinformatics engineer is to bring data and analytical capabilities forward from concept, through feasibility, and into production in cloud environments.
The Data Science team, formed by engineers, bioinformaticians, genome analysts and machine learning specialists, builds data infrastructure, pipelines and data analytics across the company.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Collaborate with data scientists, software engineers, and with scientists in wet labs to derive insights from large-scale data sets.
- Develop and maintain clean, reusable, composable, and scalable bioinformatics and data pipelines.
- Establish best practices for development, testing, and optimization of bioinformatics workflows.
- Review, extract, and transform data and lead all aspects of data quality and data access constraints
- Contribute to the data infrastructure at Vir: databases, APIs, scripts, and applications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years' experience in a relevant bioinformatics role preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and deploying computational pipelines in cloud-based environments using tools such as Docker and/or Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with pipeline/workflow languages such as Nextflow or WDL a plus.
- Expertise and experience with AWS technologies including S3, RDBS, Batch, Lambda, Athena a plus.
- Extensive experience analyzing NGS data and familiarity with standard tools such as BWA, samtools, GATK, STAR, etc.
- Practical experience with pathogen sequencing and single-cell data sets a plus.
- At least 5 years' experience programming in Python (and/or R) for method development and data analysis.
- Collaborative code development as part of a team a plus.
- Fundamental knowledge about database technologies and strong SQL skills
- Clinical data management expertise and experience working with sensitive data a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to software development best practices, including version control (git or similar), unit testing, continuous integration, issue tracking, software life cycle and code sharing.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with both scientific and engineering groups.
- Ability to lead multiple simultaneous projects and bring projects to a successful, timely completion.
- Bachelor's, Master's Degree or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Sciences or related area; and/or equivalent experience/training.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.