Our Engineers support internal and external manufacturing operations remain operational, continuously improve and innovate. With our extensive range of facilities and environments, our Engineers have opportunities across many diverse areas including Biological, Chemical, Automation, Capital Projects, Maintenance, Safety, Process Development, Technical Services, Utilities and Validation.
Merck has an expansive vaccines portfolio and an exciting pipeline of human health vaccine candidates. This position will be part of a manufacturing organization that brings these vaccines to people around the world.
The Calibration Team within our Maintenance and Engineering group at our Durham, NC facility is seeking a Manager to lead a team who will support Vaccine Operations. This is a great opportunity to grow your career in Maintenance. The Calibration Manager will provide direction, coaching, and technical expertise to calibration personnel. The Manager will actively guide their team to reliably support customer demand (including employee development, routine coaching sessions, recognition, and performance management). Proficiency in the use of manufacturing systems and knowledge of manufacturing procedures are important to being able to help the team successfully resolve process/equipment issues, minimize downtime, and ensure product quality.
Employee Development / People Management:
- Hire, develop, motivate, and manage a team to ensure reliable manufacturing calibration activities execution
- Assign yearly performance objectives for the team in alignment with department and site goals
- Provide regular feedback and coaching to employees on work performance
- Provide direction to the team as needed based on the team’s capabilities and maturity
- Ensure on time approval of payroll activities using site approved software like ADP.
Process Execution / Continuous Improvement:
- Provide a management presence on the manufacturing floor
- Advocate standard work to drive consistent use of best practices across teams
- Regularly help the team troubleshoot issues to minimize downtime and maintain product quality
- Represent Calibration on project teams as needed
- Sponsor problem-solving efforts and solutions offered by other shifts and teams
- Knowledge of electrical maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment
- Lead and support daily meetings to facilitate flow of information up/down through the organization
- Hold regular team meetings to cascade information and collect team feedback
- Provide clear consistent communication from shift to shift
- Escalate issues as needed to ensure the right support/awareness is given to issues as they arise
Quality & Safety Compliance:
- Foster strong safety culture on the team through actions, coaching, and prioritization
- Coach team members when reporting safety issues and completing corrective/preventative actions
- Drive culture of compliance through actions, consistent quality-driven decision making, and coaching of the team (e.g. documentation, housekeeping, area 5S, etc.)
- Participate in safety/regulatory audits (i.e. tours, topic discussion)
- Coach the team to ensure inventory transactions are complete, timely, and accurate
- Manage team staffing and overtime to support customer demand while meeting budget targets
- Recognize and communicate opportunities for cost savings
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- High School diploma and a minimum of six (6) years in a Maintenance, Manufacturing or Military role OR
- A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of four (4) years in a Maintenance, Manufacturing or Military role OR
- Leadership and interpersonal skills to motivate direct reports and peers to excel and "own" the process
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience with formal problem-solving techniques, such as root cause analysis (RCA), failure mode effects analysis (FMEA), and/or Lean Six Sigma tools
- Demonstrated experience maintaining and/or servicing equipment
- Strong planning, scheduling, and time management skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- A degree in Electronics or Engineering
- Direct supervisory experience of maintenance and/or manufacturing technicians.
- Computer fluency, including thorough knowledge of ProCal, Delta V, MES, SAP, etc.
- Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional (CMRP), Certified Reliability Leader (CRL) or similar Maintenance certification
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) manufacturing operations
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) compliant calibration and maintenance databases
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: