Requisition ID: INF004873
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
Merck is a global, research-driven pharmaceutical company dedicated to putting patients first. Our culture is one of strong ethics & integrity, diverse experiences, and a resounding passion for improving human health.
Global Research IT is a global, multidisciplinary team of IT professionals, informaticists and information scientists who work at the intersection of technology, science and data in partnership with MRL's Discovery, Preclinical and Early Development (DPED) organization. We believe that we are in an era of unprecedented opportunity to translate breakthough biomedical research into meaningful patient therapies and that the research IT landscape must transform in order to accelerate scientific innovation realize that opportunity. We are seeking a leader with a passion for driving this kind of transformation, within MRL and across the life sciences industry, to join us in our journey.
The Client Services Director, Discovery Research IT and Informatics is accountable for IT and informatics capabilities to drive Merck's Discovery Research efforts, spanning discovery chemistry, protein sciences, pharamacology and discovery biology functional areas. The successful candidate will be a member of the Discovery Research leadership team and partner to define and realize the strategic goals of Discovery Research, partnering with engineering, data science and scientific support functions to implement and operationalize necessary programs, informatics capabilities and site-based support across MRL discovery sites in Boston, London, San Francisco and West Point, PA.
Specific role responsibilities include:
- As a member Discovery Research leadership team, contribute to the strategic and tactical planning and execution oversight of business objectives across Discovery Research, bringing the perspective of technology and information sciences, and helping to drive modality-agnostic, cross functional capabilities.
- Building and managing an investment roadmap and IT and informatics portfolio designed to drive business outcomes, working to establish a culture of joint accountability for business outcomes across research and IT colleagues
- Partnering with Global Research IT leadership team and MRL IT Engineering to drive the creation and use of enterprise assets to provide value across MRL while enabling the broader Discovery Research strategy, driving toward the future state research IT ecosystem needed for transformation.
- Partner with scientific support functions to ensure that business experimental and analytical workflows are enabled, working to establish meaningful metrics for outcomes.
- Foster the identification and exploration of opportunities to use computational and data science capabilities to gain new scientific insights and/or efficiencies.
- Coordinate across the network of MRL Discovery Sites to ensure that functional capabilities are aligned and tuned to address site-specific needs, balancing standardization of business process with business needs
- Serve as the primary point of contact in Discovery Research for all IT initiatives to understand implications for the Discovery Research area, driving awareness and/or mitigation activities as needed
- Manage and develop a team of 6+ direct reports, as well as coaching and developing colleagues across Global Research IT and collaborating functions to help build a rich talent pool of IT and informatics colleagues to drive the scientific mission of Discovery, Preclinical and Early Development.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's Degree in an information sciences or quantitative biomedical field, MS or Ph.D or equivalent experience. strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience in healthcare or life sciences IT or informatics, preferably in research.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical discovery and translational workflows and the information types and technology systems that enable them.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with business stakeholders and navigate across conflicting priorities to balance critical tactical and strategic needs.
- Highly responsive and detail-oriented, with a focus on user experience and accountability for outcomes.
- Strong relationship building abilities and partnership skills; Ability to work effectively through influence across all levels of the organization, achieving results with a largely virtual and distributed team.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize data and develop recommendations for senior leader.
- Strategic thinker, with demonstrated ability to develop and execute on a multi-year plan to drive business outcomes, with resiliency to organizational evolution.
- Proven ability as a self-starter and problem solver; comfort with ambiguity and able to effectively take the conceptual to the pragmatic, addressing business and technical obstacles as they emerge
- Sound judgment, planning, forecasting and project management skills
- Solid track record of recruiting, coaching and developing talent, particularly talent with skills in both science and IT/informatics.
- Experience in establishing and managing strategic vendor relationships.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with information models, workflows and informatics methodologies for diverse modalities, in particular non-small molecule modalities, is highly desired.
- Strong change management and execution skills. Experience in driving cultural changes essential to achieving business outcomes.
- Direct people management of 5+ direct reports
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Informatics IT
Other Locations: West Point, PA, US; Kenilworth, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston