Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients' lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology - areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you're looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients' lives and being a great place to work, we hope you'll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Reporting to Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Government Relations, the Director of Government Affairs & Policy will play an integral role in developing and implementing Jazz's federal legislative and policy strategies to support the business. This role is part of the Corporate Affairs & Government Relations department that includes: Global Corporate & Brand Communications, Global Advocacy, and Corporate Giving.
This position will be located in Washington DC or field based.
- Registered federal lobbyist and lead public policy analyst for Jazz Pharmaceuticals. Responsible for developing, establishing, and managing federal and state government affairs positions and strategies to drive business priorities.
- Provide direction to and manage legislative and policy consultants to ensure Jazz's strategies and tactics are executed in an optimal manner.
- Develop and execute an executive engagement strategy that helps Jazz engage compliantly and effectively in the political process.
- Lead and develop policy positions reflective of the organization and our business.
- Monitor, interpret and translate legislative, regulatory, political and other government proposals, and the corresponding risks or opportunities of the company, and its products.
- Serve as a liaison between Jazz and federal agencies, legislators, and staff for designated business areas, and lobby on assigned topics.
- Work closely with the VP to manage corporate interests affected by federal and state legislative and regulatory policy, including: federal health policy, Rx reimbursement, tax implications, Medicare/Medicaid, 340B, VA/DOD and other areas that may impact Jazz.
- Work collaboratively and in a full integrated manner with other Corporate Affairs functions and other internal stakeholders including Market Access, Legal, Compliance, Regulatory and Commercial teams.
- Represent the company's interest working with relevant think tanks, coalitions, legislative and policy work groups, and other stakeholders who can have a legislative and/or policy impact with respect to Jazz's business.
- Serve as liaison with trade association, coalitions that represent the biopharmaceutical industry and advocate for policies that seek to protect patient's access to medicines.
- Team player in collaborating, supporting and implementing department and cross- functional initiatives to advance corporate agenda.
- Monitor and report to senior leadership on relevant federal and state legislation, political developments and relevant industry issues, and provide briefings on strategies aimed at protecting Jazz, its patients, and other stakeholders.
- Educate internal stakeholders (e.g., Legal, Commercial, Regulatory, Investor Relations, Corporate Communications) on legislative and executive matters relevant to Jazz, its patients, and other stakeholders
- Strong skills in assessing national trends and policies to identify and recommend appropriate strategies and actions to protect and advance business interests.
- Established relationships with members of Health Care, Legislative, Regulatory, and Policy community including relevant federal agencies.
- Experience serving as a registered lobbyist in healthcare.
- Experience developing and implementing a consistent government affairs strategy, including short and long-term goals and establishing methods of measuring the plan's impact on and contribution to the Company.
- Ability to think strategically and provide summaries of complex issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of compliance requirements, and legislative and regulatory processes; and prepared to certify compliance on regular basis.
- Extensive legislative and policy experience required; understanding of biopharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Experience in trade associations helpful.
- Global experience helpful.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
- Ability to analyze issues, develop arguments and effectively communicate complex concepts among policy makers and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and anticipate emerging issues, balance competing issues and direct resources accordingly.
- Self-starter and results-oriented.
- Possess high ethical standards.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Graduate degree preferred with a focus in public policy or health policy or law.
- 10 or more years of experience in Government Relations within a Biotech, Pharma or Life Sciences organization
- Healthcare and/or pharmaceutical industry specific experience required
- Capitol Hill, Administration, and/or Agency experience preferred
Requires approximately 10% travel
Description of Physical Demands
- Consistent mobility within office environment.
- Routinely walking and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.