Requisition ID: INT000183
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
The attorney will provide patent support functions for Merck's discovery and development programs in the human and/or animal health areas.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft and prosecute patent applications to protect Merck's products, product candidates and platform technologies
- Conduct FTO analyses for products and platform technology
- Conduct IP due diligence for corporate transactions
- Provide legal services, advice and guidance that is consistent with law and Company policy, furthers business objectives and appropriately balances divisional/functional/corporate business objectives and legal risks
- Exercise judgment to drive decisions on routine and non-routine matters within areas of practice
- Supervise activities and manage relationships with outside counsel
- Some domestic and international travel may be required
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A bachelor's degree in the pharmaceutical, chemical or biological sciences from an accredited institution
- Graduate of an accredited US law school
Required Experience and Skills:
- Registered to practice before the USPTO
- Member in good standing of a Bar of any state or the District of Columbia
- Five (5) or more years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or corporate setting, practicing in the patent area
- Expertise in drafting and prosecuting biologics/vaccine (large molecule) patents, with a willingness to develop expertise in drafting and prosecuting chemical (small molecule) patents
- Strong technical background
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in counseling clients on intellectual property issues
- Experience in managing a significant workload, with the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
- Advanced degree in biological or chemical sciences
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Intellectual Property (Patent/Trademark) Law
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston