At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®\" in the U.S., EU and Canada for the treatment of patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first medication to be approved for PBC in over twenty years, and sales continue to grow more than four years after its initial approval in 2016.
Intercept has also established the leading clinical development program in advanced fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a disease that impacts the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and the REGENERATE study of OCA remains the only Phase 3 trial to have generated positive results in the disease. A second Phase 3 trial, REVERSE, is evaluating OCA in patients with compensated cirrhosis due to NASH, with results expected in 2021.
People at Intercept are passionate about patients. You'll see their photos lining our walls and hear their stories in town halls. We're equally passionate about our team and ensuring each member reaches their potential. We brave new challenges together. That's how we find better ways to get things done and break down barriers. It's also how we make it fun to work here.
At Intercept, we foster an environment that celebrates creativity, collaboration, and mutual respect. We never hesitate to lean on our teammates and work together. Our relatively small size means you partner with accessible leaders who know you by name. This brings accountability and growth, which all add up to more opportunities to learn something new every day. A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is engrained in both our culture and our business. For self-motivated leaders who are ready to make a di¬fference in the lives of patients, Intercept is a great place to be.
As Intercept continues to build its position as the leader in progressive non-viral liver disease, we are seeking a Director/Senior Director of Business Development. The role supports the Company's global Business Development team to identify partnership opportunities and to help strengthen our pipeline. The role is responsible for coordinating search, evaluation, diligence, negotiation, and integration efforts for the Company. The role will also encompass other general M&A and licensing activities and be a member of the finance organization of the Company.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
* Support the overall M&A, licensing objectives, strategies and tactics for growth of the Company's business strategy
* Ensure internal and external communication of the Company's strategy and represent the Company as a spokesperson in external partnering and scientific conferences
* Lead due diligence teams working on complex problems of diverse scope in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various scientific, technical, financial and business factors as well as the application of broad-based experience
* Lead financial analysis on potential transactions
* Build and leverage a network of connections in the academic and biotechnology world to raise awareness of the Company's partnering objectives and capabilities
* Identify opportunities for assets that could complement our existing portfolio, in alignment with overarching BD strategy and Intercept's long-range plans
* Work constructively with key stakeholders and cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication, efficient decision-making, and completion of transactions in a timely manner
* Integrate input from various functional areas across the organization to create high quality, clear and concise due diligence reports and presentations with recommendations to the Executive Management team
* Help drive decision making regarding future portfolio makeup
* Support alliance management activities for the company
* Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
* Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
* Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
Experience and Skills
* 8+ years of experience in drug development, business development, M&A, licensing, search and evaluation, strategy preferred
* Prefer prior experience in investment banking, equity research, private equity, life science business development or related field
* Strong financial modeling skills required
* Ph.D. in life sciences, Pharm.D., or M.D. or equivalent is preferred but not required
* Ability to travel, in some cases, internationally (average travel expectation
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
* Demonstrated leadership abilities in direct and cross-functional roles
* A critical thinker with ability to get to the right level of granularity to balance speed of execution and facilitate optimal decision-making by executive management
* Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Experience interacting with executive-level management
* Must possess a professional demeanor and effective communication capabilities for collaboration with others in a multi-disciplinary group
* Demonstrated problem solving skills (including taking ownership to ensure timely resolution), a strong sense of urgency, keen attention to detail, and the ability to plan, organize and successfully execute in an environment under time and resource pressures
* Must be focused and able to meet tight timetables
* Able to work in an environment where priorities may rapidly change
* Ability to effectively verbally present ideas and document concepts clearly in writing
* Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
* Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity
* Ability to have fun and thrive in a growing, diverse, and inclusive work environment