Requisition ID: MED004100
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a "patient first, profits later" ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
In coordination with the Vaccine Brand Leaders and US Market Leaders, this Regional Medical Director (RMD) will be directly responsible for accomplishing the following:
- Serving as a vaccine, vaccination, and disease expert who engages in discussions with healthcare professionals (HCPs) to help them to achieve positive health outcomes for their patients.
- Provides HCPs accurate information about Merck products and clinical science in a balanced and credible manner consistent with the regulatory environment and Merck's ethical standards.
- Seeks ways to collaborate with HCPs and healthcare organizations to improve patient outcomes and vaccination-delivery processes.
- Operate principally within a specific geographic focus within the United States (e.g., Mid-Atlantic States - to be determined).
*** Preferred Locations: PA, DE, MD, VA, WV, KY or TN
Primary activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains expertise in basic and clinical science of vaccines and vaccination, quality management, and the business environment of medicine, through study of current literature, conferences, guidelines, and through interactions with Merck and external scientific resources.
- Actively participates in professional society meetings and continuing education (CE) to remain current and to identify areas of new and emerging science of importance to Merck.
- Develops and maintains relationships with leading healthcare providers and clinical leaders, and provides clinical and scientific support to key decision makers in managed-care organizations, integrated health systems, medical groups, and public-sector healthcare delivery institutions and agencies.
- Serves as resource to Account Executives, Directors of Commercial Operations, and their teams.
- Meets with key providers, proactively and responsively, to provide on-label product information (across Merck and competitive portfolio) and to discuss challenging disease areas and clinical treatment or preventative protocols.
- Establishes long-term peer relationships with key providers to validate that Merck provides credible, accurate scientific, product, and implementation information and is a trusted partner in improving patient care.
- Delivers approved relevant updates and educational programs to clinicians on areas of emerging science, clinical protocols, therapeutic and prophylactic options, and behavioral or other sciences related to implementation.
- Acts as resource to healthcare professionals on the payer environment (e.g. formularies, utilization goals, quality metrics, pay for performance) to assist them in addressing business and patient needs.
- Acts as resource on quality management and vaccination-series completion to help HCPs to improve performance measures and patient outcomes.
- Responds to unsolicited requests for product or scientific information by utilizing appropriate resources within the company, including professional information requests (PIRs) and/or by initiating contact with Merck HQ scientists or clinicians.
- Actively engages overlay customer teams to enhance understanding of customer needs and to develop customer plan. Works as part of Merck customer-facing team(s) to deliver customer solutions.
- Shares accountability for the delivery of an agreed-upon customer experience: Recognition of Merck as a trusted resource to deliver value (as defined by the customer).
- Works with internal stakeholders to refine and execute RMD Team objectives.
- Partners with Account Executives (AEs), and other relevant Merck personnel to establish relationships with key scientific leaders and key decision makers within customer/payer accounts.
- Provides customer team with assessment of customer's needs and clinical challenges including emerging science and treatment protocols.
- Represents Merck's business by developing contacts and advocates among key medical decision makers and opinion leaders in managed care, hospital, academic institutions, Medicaid, Medicare, and other clinical settings.
- Understands the programs and services available in the library of Merck resources and how they may address customer needs.
- Maximizes the opportunity for customer interaction with Merck resources (including the appropriate members of customer team).
- Advises Director of Commercial Operations on relevant clinical and scientific issues that inform decisions around resource allocation.
- Advises customer team/AEs on current medical and clinical information including customers' perspective per policy.
- Leverages organizational resources and knowledge, including Merck Vaccines HQ, MRL, and GMA as per policy.
- Understands and clearly communicates Merck's scientific platforms.
- Actively coordinates with peers within Merck to share approved best practices.
- Effects of decisions are long lasting and heavily influence the future course of the organization. Errors in judgment or failure to achieve results would result in the expenditure of large amounts of company resources.
- Work is performed with limited direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment.
- Is accountable to established performance metrics, objectives and standards & values.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Doctoral degree (e.g., MD, DO, Pharm D, DNP), US residency/fellowship trained
- Board certification in primary care or a subspecialty in a field(s) important to M erck
- Current US licensure
- 4+ years clinical experience in the United States
Required Experience and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills & relationship building skills
- Breadth of knowledge in clinical medicine and public health
- Ability to interpret complex technical data to match communication needs of recipients
- Understanding of managed-care/payer environment
- Understanding of quality management and performance improvement in clinical medicine
- Proven ability to work effectively within diverse teams
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in a medical business-related role (e.g., pharmaceuticals, managed care, practice management, clinical research, consulting, diagnostics and devices)
- Clinical, research, or public-health experience with vaccines
- Experience in a scientific, medical or teaching institution
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs (M.D.) - Field Based
Other Locations: DE, US; WV, US; VA, US; TN, US; MD, US; KY, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck