Requisition ID: DIR026446
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a "patient first, profits later" ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The division is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Vaccine Customer Representative is a key member of the Vaccine Horizontal Market Team and plays a critical role in supporting Merck Vaccines customer engagement model.
He/she is responsible for engaging with customers in a way that supports the local market focus on population health and centers on the highest potential business opportunities that will improve our impact on public health. He/she will work with the local market team to understand and identify customer needs, proactively align products and services, support pull-through activities relative to integrated strategies, and ensure that MV is viewed as demonstrating value and better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients. Responsible for ensuring all activities adhere to the spirit and letter of all Merck Policies and US Laws and Regulations.
Primary activities include:
Account Management / Contracting: Understand multiple interdependencies within an account, consider customer healthcare goals and needs, and maximize account performance by building long-term relationships through collaborative business planning processes and approaches. This includes conducting customer business reviews with appropriate stakeholders discussing the financial impact of contracts and progress/results of targeted vaccine programs and previously identified opportunities to improve customer benefits.
- Understand complex account interdependencies in order to develop both short and long-term account plans in conjunction with a wide array of stakeholders, and lead a local account team's execution to deliver on the account plan.
- Work consistently with customers to demonstrate an understanding of and support for office vaccine protocols. Understand the role of each health care practitioner in the office (e.g., office manager, Medical Assistants, nurse, physician) as it relates to establishing and implementing the vaccine protocol.
- Provide information and resources that support the integration of a standard of care and the development and establishment of office vaccination protocols.
- Maintain complete knowledge and understanding of MV contract terms and conditions. Apply knowledge of contracts and historical ordering patterns to optimize vaccine purchases for customers and appropriate inventory in support of office protocols, vaccination goals, and seasonality in patient origination.
- Manage customer supply, product transition, and back-order challenges and communications.
- Develop annual portfolio-wide account strategy business plan with corresponding business case for top accounts.
- Establish and track account performance metrics to evaluate progress and performance, and to assess opportunity and need to adjust plans and associated tasks.
Sales Acumen : Build trust with customers and demonstrate value in selling situations to deliver high-quality engagements or interactions that deliver products/solutions with the common goal of improving health outcomes in pediatric, adolescent, and adult populations and across diverse customer segments which may include private or public sector (state health departments, FQHCs, VISNs, VAs, Military, Pharmacy, etc.). Work cross functionally with each Merck Vaccine and USCO counterpart to provide support and resources that assist customers in achieving health outcomes.
- Collaborate with customers through solid relationship management skills and leverage customer insights to provide comprehensive solutions to previously unmet and evolving healthcare needs with a focus on population health management.
- Understand and appropriately converse about current health care trends per company guidance, including: ACOs, PCMHs, HC Reform, Prevention & Wellness, etc.
- Change customer behaviors by understanding beliefs and experiences and providing appropriate insight that creates a different experience.
- Create a compelling and logical rationale for the value of Merck Vaccines (clinical) and Commercial Offers in support of patient health & wellness.
- Ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer healthcare needs, use the insights to position Merck vaccines and commercial offers, and collaborate with customers on a customized strategy.
Customer Segmentation & Targeting - Divide customer population into groups of individuals who share similar characteristics and buying behaviors, and apply this information to focus on groups effectively, allocate promotional resources, and drive execution of commercial plans
- Identify key customer segments, channels, and opportunities across the eco-system of patient care. Evaluate and prioritize business across many different types of customer segments including: public clinics, private systems, pharmacy, government, VA/military/CBOCs, FQHCs, etc.
- Divide a customer base into customer segments and apply the insights to effectively and differentially allocate marketing and field resources that drive execution of sales and marketing plans.
- Communicate Merck Vaccine clinical information and Commercial Offers in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customize discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engage in informed discussions about products with HCP customers - knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Act as primary point of contact for customer, meet with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers: Managed Care Organization (MCO), employers, state and local policy)/network structure, customer needs and identify business opportunities
- Coordinate with customer team to develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
Territory: St.Louis, MO
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/MS
- Experience working in one or more of the following areas: Pharmaceutical/Healthcare, Sales, Consulting, Customer Service or Military.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Self- directed and organized
- Possess strong interpersonal and leadership qualities with demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships in an academic or professional setting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and good judgment
- Valid Driver's License
- Prior experience developing and executing plans for engaging customers and meeting customer needs
- Demonstrated success in establishing, developing and maintaining relationships
- Prior experience working in a highly regulated industry or environment where compliance to policies is critical
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Direct Sales Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: St Louis