We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
The Headquarters BD&L (Business Development & Licensing) Transactions group is responsible for supporting our Research & Development Division’s business development and licensing objectives. This entails leading a broad set of global transactions including: licensing, collaborations, and mergers & acquisitions at all stages, from pre-clinical through commercial. The Executive Director, Headquarters BD&L Transactions will lead cross-functional deal teams to formulate, value, test, and present business cases to executive management in support of deals that they will negotiate to completion if approved. They will report to the Head of HQ BD&L Transactions, and will lead projects involving all deal types, including in- and out-licensing, M&A, co-development/co-promotion, clinical trial collaboration agreements and other deal structures. This position will be responsible for:
- Leading complex transactions.
- Driving projects to completion with urgency.
- Collaborating with teams across the organization, particularly the Headquarters Search and Evaluation teams, to develop an understanding of ambiguous situations and opportunities.
- Framing issues and options clearly to enable the company to make informed decisions.
- Interfacing with executive partners across the company to ensure business alignment.
- Understanding our partner’s interests to help ensure transactions are structured so that the parties’ interests are aligned as much as possible.
- Solving complex problems during negotiations and applying judgment in all aspects of the role. This will require both business and financial acumen, as well as a deep understanding of the needs and risks inherent in drug development.
Interfaces – The incumbent will routinely interface with, and seek to influence, senior level management. This person will have strong influence on outside partners and potential partners, as would be expected in a business-development leadership role. This Executive Director must have excellent judgment, as they will be responsible for a broad set of significant transactions.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in business or law is a plus
- A minimum of 10 years professional work experience with at least 5 years in pharmaceutical or biotech transactions roles, including some experience at a senior level
- Significant experience in biotech and pharma transactions required
- Demonstrated ability to partner with executive leadership required
- Understanding of scientific principles and the drug development process is recommended
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal skills and creativity in applying analytical frameworks to business issues are critical
- Must be able to develop a comprehensive understanding of disparate complex and ambiguous situations and clearly frame the issues and questions presented
- Excellent transactional, financial, business, and management expertise, as well as a strong capability and knowledge of early- and late-stage transactions and at least a high-level understanding of the science and technologies involved
- Creative solution mindset in developing deals
- Project team experience within a highly-matrixed organization is required
- Proven record of leading, negotiating & executing a variety of deals by phase and degrees of complexity
- Some travel (~<25%) will be required
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global bio-pharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: