Requisition ID: GLO001359
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Corporate Communications strives to be a strong team of trusted advisors who partner to drive business value. We advance the mission of the company and create a cohesive picture of Merck's work in the world by shaping its narrative. We drive consistency around the Merck narrative and improve our corporate reputation as a result.
Through our strategic approach, we ensure our company is positioned for success, its value is understood, and its reputation is protected. Our involvement with the entirety of the business - as strategic counselors - gives us a wide-angle perspective that we use to optimize opportunities, mitigate risk and achieve the company's goals. We align as a cohesive team with shared goals and a clear picture of the results we pursue.
We are looking for a Communications Leader who has experience in influencing executives and strategic teams, pushing progressive thinking and bringing a strategic, data-driven approach to a global organization. This leader will play a key role in unifying Corporate Communications to galvanize a one-Merck culture focused on excellence in execution, strategic thinking, accountability and respect.
The Executive Director, Leadership Communications, MMD is responsible for leading the work to plan, develop and implement the global external and internal communications strategy for Merck's manufacturing division. She or he will be responsible for: supporting the internal and external communications for the EVP, manufacturing; being the communications expert for the manufacturing division and the face of Corporate Communications for that team; contributing to the creation of an executive committee-team wide Thought Leadership strategy; implementing the Thought Leadership strategy for the EVP of manufacturing; driving employee engagement within the manufacturing division; leading crisis/issues communications for the manufacturing division; and reimagining the facilities support for the division.
This person will work closely with colleagues across the manufacturing division and its leadership, as well as the broader global communications team.
This position reports to the Head, Leadership Communications.
- Creates, develops, implements and measures a strategic internal and external communications plan for Merck's EVP, Manufacturing that helps the manufacturing organization navigate through change, growth, crisis and employee affairs and aligns with the overall efforts of the broader company.
- Contributes to the creation of a company-wide thought leadership strategy, leading implementation of that strategy for the EVP, Manufacturing and other key senior leaders, as appropriate.
- Aligns with Leadership Communications team to ensure that Merck key leaders communicate a cohesive narrative and are optimally deployed to advance Merck's reputational goals.
- Works with the Manufacturing Leadership team to drives employee engagement within the manufacturing organization that align with the overall Global Communications/Corporate Communications efforts.
- Brings innovative approaches and advises on tools and tactics that cut through the noise and increase impact.
- Oversees communications related to Merck's manufacturing sites and facilities around the world; identifies effective communication strategies and opportunities; measures and monitors progress to ensure intended plans and strategies are successful.
- Surfaces stories of innovation and impact that can be communicated externally to advance Merck's narrative.
- Creates and maintains an intelligence feedback loop on key external issues to inform the narrative and manage communication risk.
- Ensures that the company's communications are executed in a strategic, consistent and measurable manner and that communications resources are aligned to business priorities.
- Bachelors degree required
- Graduate degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in Corporate Communications, or similar role, with extensive experience working in-house with publicly-traded company(ies);
- Strong business acumen
- Good executive presence
- Good writing/communications skills
- Understanding of internal/executive communications practices
- Experience in supporting thought leadership programs a plus, including how to leverage social/digital
- Biased to think in new and innovative ways about internal and external communication, and is fluent in social media and other technology enabled communications channels.
- Strategic thinker and hands-on individual who can take projects from concept to implementation in a complex matrix team environment.
- Proven track record as a strong strategic communications leader who has demonstrated capabilities to drive organizational change, ensure employee engagement and manage cross-functional projects.
- Proven track record as intelligent risk taker and creative problem solver.
- Demonstrated success in collaborating across functions and across geographies.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Proven ability to translate science/business/technical information, developments and challenges into compelling communications for key stakeholders
- Maintains direction and focus through proactive, integrated planning; takes an organized, data-driven approach
- Possesses passion, energy, a detail orientation, and enthusiasm to drive result
- Positive, can-do attitude and learning mindset
- Team player who is energized by our vision of change and is willing to jump in beyond his/her role to make sure the whole team thrives
- Experience within a highly regulated industry; deep business knowledge, solid understanding of manufacturing across a global enterprise.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Global Product Communications
Other Locations: Upper Gwynedd, PA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark