We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry leaders ensuring the scientific value of our products is understood. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure a thorough understanding of the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to support collaboration to further differentiate our portfolio.
The Executive Director (ED) is accountable for the development and execution of scientific & medical affairs plans for Oncology Early Stage (pre-POC) Compounds. He or she will partner very closely with global medical affairs (GMA) TA tumor/biomarker leads, early development teams and Product Development Team (PDT) leads in late development, Global Commercial Development leaders for early stage compounds and leaders in the Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE), Policy and Market Access to support the advancement of our Company's early oncology portfolio. He or she engages with global scientific leaders and key decision makers engagement in relates to early stage compounds. The ED partners with This is a headquarter-based position in Merck
Research Laboratories Global Medical Affairs (Research & Development division & GMA TA-oncology).
- Leads the annual scientific & medical plan on Pre-POC compounds [in collaboration with the Global Directors Scientific Affairs] that guide TA scientific exchange (input and output) of all Research & Development division's GMA staff globally
- Leads cross-functional Scientific Medical and Research Teams to realize scientific value creation through responsive scientific leader interactions, a unified scientific/medical understanding and viewpoint, and aligned scientific exchange execution on early stage pipeline compounds and novel combinations
- Partners with Early Development Teams, Global Commercial Development for pre-POC compounds, PDT leads in late development, and leads in the Center of Real-World Evidence leads to provide medical inputs to early clinical development plans (such as POC study design, target product profile, medical needs assessment and competitive landscape) and lead scientific engagement of our Company's early compound pipeline compounds
- Collaborate closely with GMA TA tumor leads, biomarker leads in consolidating actionable medical insights from countries and regions to inform company decisions on early to late development transition. These inputs include current and future standard of care, health care system, evolving landscape and patient voice
- Lead and collaborate with TA tumor teams in engagement with international scientific leaders and other key stakeholders (therapeutic guideline committees, payers, public groups, government officials, medical societies) about our Company’s emerging science and oncology pipeline
- Collaborate closely with tumor leads and biomarker leads to ensure all scientific exchange in respective tumor types aligned with tumor strategy and global scientific communications platform
- Drives global, regional and key country expert input events to answer our Company's questions how to develop and implement new compounds or new indications: advisory boards and expert input forums
- Provide medical support for business development including but not limited to medical needs assessment, expert forum to answer important questions during the due diligence process.
- Contributes as relevant members to the Product Development sub-teams (Value Evidence, Clinical, Commercial, Publications and Label teams)
- Aligns medical plans and activities with Global Human Health (commercial) leaders
- Organizes regular management reviews of the team’s activities and progress
- Drives global and regional symposia and educational meetings to highlight pipeline compounds and innovative strategies
- Supports Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE) data generation and coordinates local data generation studies with CORE
- Supports the investigator-initiated study program
- MD and recognized scientific expertise
- Extensive experience in Medical Affairs or Clinical Development (experience in early development is preferred, but not necessary)
- Strong prioritization and decision-making skills with the ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, mentor, manage and provide clear, unambiguous expectations and priorities for the teams
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with and influence partners across divisions
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral), in addition to results oriented project management skills
- Travel: 30%
- A minimum of 5 years pharmaceutical (or related) Industry experience in the global or US arena with proven track record of contribution to medical or clinical development strategies
- Customer expertise especially scientific leadership and other key stakeholders (payers, public groups, government officials, medical professional organizations) in the assigned therapeutic area
- Proven ability to effectively influence company life cycle management, and data generation
- Understanding of resourcing and budgeting
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: