About the Department
Novo Nordisk’s Market Access and Public Affairs team engages diverse stakeholders across political and healthcare landscapes to forge solutions that drive patient access to innovative products. We strive to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients with diabetes, obesity, growth hormone deficiencies and rare bleeding disorders through mutual wins for both Novo Nordisk and our Market Access customers. Our passion for helping people live better lives and our award-winning product pipeline can only be as effective as our ability to provide life-changing information to healthcare providers, key stakeholders and policymakers. Our Market Access and Public Affairs professionals ensure that the latest therapies and products reach the people who need them most, by creating an environment where innovation and chronic disease management drive optimal health outcomes. Are you ready to realize your potential?
The Executive Director of Government Affairs is responsible for developing the company’s federal and state legislative agendas in coordination with the Vice President of Public Affairs. The Executive Director will ensure these agendas are formulated to advance the enterprise goals and raise the company's profile among policy makers. The leader will ensure the state and federal teams build and maintain the company’s relationships with government officials in Congress and the states. S/he oversees and directs Novo Nordisk’s federal and state agenda, particularly the development of its tactics to implement the legislative and market goals. Collaborates with internal partners on all aspects of federal and state legislative, grassroots, and Political Action Committee (PAC) goals.
Oversees and manages the work of the Government Affairs to engage internal and external stakeholders in advocating on the Company’s behalf. Ensures Government Affairs is strategically aligned with all other Public Affairs teams by establishing and maintaining close working relationships with Policy and Alliance Development.
Oversees the management of activities of contract lobbyists by the state and federal Government Affairs teams. Oversees and ensures accurate and timely compliance with all lobbying-related reporting requirements for Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) personnel.
Leads and directs two teams of lobbyists who interact with multiple internal stakeholders, including but not limited to Medical Affairs, Legal, Obesity, Diabetes Business Unit, Communications, and other teams within Public Affairs. This includes interacting with Board Members and Officers of the Novo Nordisk Political Action Committee, employees participating in the Novo Nordisk PAC, and representing Government Affairs as necessary with relevant internal Novo Nordisk committees, particularly related to political compliance issues.
The position will interact with numerous external stakeholders, including but not limited to Members of Congress and their Staff in both the House and Senate, Congressional Member organizations including but not limited to the Congressional Diabetes Caucus, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Foundation, Congressional Asian-Pacific American Islander Caucus Foundation, and others, state Governors, state Legislators and Executive branch officials and staff as well as state and federal associations.
This position reports to the Vice President (VP), Public Affairs.
- Manages team members who educate state and federal officials on policy issues important to Novo Nordisk. Manage team who advocate with key members and staff to adopt policies supportive of Novo Nordisk’s position into legislation or for the removal of harmful language
- In coordination with the VP and the Public Affairs Leadership Team (PALT), develops and executes strategic action plans on wide variety of public policy and business issues of importance to NNI
- Builds, fosters and maintains company’s relationships with external government stakeholders. Responsible for promoting awareness of the Company. Represents the company on legislative and regulatory affairs with elected officials and government officials in regulatory and other agencies and their respective staffs
- Serves as a liaison and communicates with government officials to build active support for the advancement of Novo Nordisk’s positions on public policy issues
- Directs the comprehensive legislative strategy of all Novo Nordisk-supported initiatives and provides analysis to company officials
- Ensures team goals are achieved, including the development PAC and grassroots that have an important position relative to NNI public policy goals
- Oversees other activities, as assigned by the Vice President of Public Affairs that meet the goals of the Government Affairs teams
- Ensures that Government Affairs is strategically aligned with all other Public Affairs departments by establishing and maintaining close working relationships with Policy and Alliance Development. In particular, the Executive Director ensures that Novo Nordisk’s legislative agenda is strategically aligned with the enterprise strategies and Triple Bottom Line
- Leads alignment of lobbying with our trade associations and the executive team interaction with key trade associations, including PhRMA
- Develops and manages special political projects that arise
- Oversees and directs the Government Affairs budget
20-30% overnight travel required.
Development of People
Ensure that reporting personnel have annual goals and measurements that are consistent with the priorities of the business, and that interim reviews are held so that their work is focused on those priorities, and they understand their level of accountability for results and the measurement process. Manage the application and communication of all Novo Nordisk policies, procedures, and Novo Nordisk Way.
- A Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or commensurate experience preferred
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressive experience with federal or state legislative, executive and public-policymaking bodies required
- Ability to effectively deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals required. Demonstrated track record of outstanding advocacy, communications and negotiations skills required
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little or no supervision required
- Demonstrated ability to develop and cultivate relationships with key associations/agencies and key government leaders
- Demonstrated career progression
- Experience working with healthcare industry associations, physician or patient groups preferred
- Results-focused - prior track record required
- Travel required, including travel to NNIs Princeton office
- Understanding of healthcare and pharmaceutical industry issues preferred
- Knowledge of state health care systems - government and private sector preferred
- Proven track record of effective strategic planning, execution and follow up
- Strong interpersonal and communications style with ability to convey passion about Novo Nordisk and our company's public policy goals; ability to generate excitement and enthusiasm among internal and external audiences
- Strong planning, relationship building, cross-functional team and leadership skills required
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.