The Executive Director, US Field Team Lead reports into the AVP, Lead HQ / US. The Executive Director manages a team of US MSLs and Clinical Liaisons and conducts high level scientific and strategic interactions with external scientific leaders as well as internally with cross-functional teams.
- Provide leadership/supervision, set short- and long-term strategic direction for the HQ / US MSLs and Clinical Liaisons in alignment with organizational goals.
- Identify, establish and manage collaborative professional relationships with national, regional and clinical practice scientific leaders (SLs) and investigators to identify and address scientific needs and to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and organizational data or products.
- Oversee MSL and Clinical Liaison team to maintain a reliable presence to ensure Scientific Leaders have a Medical contact within organization.
- Facilitate appropriate scientific exchange of information with Scientific Leads, including integration of scientific knowledge with actionable insights to inform organization strategies.
- Communicate external stakeholder opinions, insights and feedback on new data, clinical trends and the evolving TA landscape to Medical Affairs HQ / US teams to enhance scientific understanding and inform internal strategies.
- Represent organization at scientific meetings and congresses and contribute to debriefs, insight discussions and post-congress reports.
- Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with global therapeutic area strategy.
- Plan and execute regional team meetings, communicate R&D, Medical and Clinical information, and other relevant information to their field-based team.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful integration of new members into their assigned roles and responsibilities as well as continued mentorship of new and existing US MSLs and Clinical Liaisons.
- Liaise with appropriate cross-functional stakeholders to understand marketplace dynamics and implications for scientific and medical strategy field needs.
- Responsible for having insight into the national/regional/local clinical and health care reform trends impacting organization.
- Participate in and support the development of product and portfolio research strategy, utilizing the regional teams’ scientific leader insights and therapeutic expertise.
- Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards.
- MD, PhD or PharmD with significant prior experience in the biopharmaceutical industry or healthcare environment
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in field Medical Affairs role with successful track record demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and ability to lead a field team and step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, strong personal integrity, teamwork abilities (including the ability to lead a therapeutic team across a geographical area) and focus on scientific education and dialogue
- Thorough understanding of the relevant therapeutic area ethical guidelines, laws and regulations relevant to the biopharmaceutical industry and its customers to ensure compliance with all external and internal guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Ability to organize, prioritize and work effectively in a constantly changing environment and to motivate a team to do the same
- Experience leading projects and interacting with cross-functional teams
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with Key Scientific Leaders and national stakeholders
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a direct manager of scientists/clinicians (preferably in field-based roles)
- Deep therapeutic competency; current knowledge of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: