About the Department
Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research, helping patients getting healthier with digital therapeutics, and advanced medical devices in a state-of-the-art research facility. That’s what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists and engineers apply cutting-edge technologies to early R&D projects with the goal of bringing real change to People with Diabetes and Obesity. Such projects include applying data science when developing advanced medical devices and digital decision support solutions. At NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes and obesity treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
We are looking for a skilled programmer who is comfortable with both front and backend development. Full Stack Mobile Developers are responsible for designing and developing frontend mobile architecture, backend architectures and API features, ensuring the responsiveness of applications, and working alongside UI designers for design features, among other duties. Full Stack Developers will be required to see digital therapeutics projects from conception to final product as a part of a larger team, requiring good organizational skills and attention to detail.
The Full Stack Mobile Developer will contribute to the USDR vision to explore and develop new technology, product ideas, and game-changers in the field of Digital Therapeutics that may hold the potential to add value to patients and Novo Nordisk in the future within therapeutic areas covered by Novo Nordisk corporate strategy. The Full Stack Mobile Developer will engage in all aspects of the mobile environment from frontend, backend, working with APIs, integrating with 3rd party software, and developing mobile digital therapeutics applications on iOS and Android.
The Full Stack Mobile Developer reports to a member of USDR management. Internal relationships include R&D Engineers, Data Scientists, Quality Assurance (QA) engineers, and Software Engineers in USDR and Denmark. External relationships may occasionally include commercial collaboration partners, academia, and NNRCSI drug researchers.
- Plan and execute development for Digital Therapeutics/SaMD development projects, including:
- Participate in developing backend cloud applications that may be classified by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) as Software as Medical Device (SaMD)
- Develop frontend mobile architecture
- Prototype frontend mobile applications to drive understanding of patient needs, system requirements, and risks
- Create servers and databases for functionality
- Ensure cross-platform optimization for mobile phones
- Ensure responsiveness of applications
- Implement development tools and technology stack to enable scalable, reliable software development inside and outside of regulated design control
- Write commercial-ready, testable, reusable code
- Produce necessary design documentation to support design control
- Define and communicate technical and design requirements
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team of engineers, designers, developers, and system administrators
- Stay current on new development technologies
- Stay current on best engineering practices
- Develop in sprints as a part of the core agile development team
- Work within a regulated design control environment for some projects
- Work with cross-functional teams, including QA, Regulatory, and Engineering to ensure regulatory compliance and design for testability
- Present subject matter to stakeholders
- Contribute to technical collaboration
- Hand over development work to relevant stakeholders
- Comment on Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) updates
- Identify, specify, and drive activities for competency development
- Contribute to continuous improvement for development methodologist and development support tools used in USDR
- Ensure compliance with relevant Novo Nordisk policies and SOPs
- Other duties as assigned
10-20% overnight travel required.
- BS degree required. Degree in the field of Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field preferred. Advanced degree may be substituted for experience as appropriate
- 5+ years of experience in full stack mobile development required
- Experience in one or more of the following is preferred: Backend technologies like Python, Java, Ruby, and PHP or similar
- Frontend development on iOS and Android
- Database technologies such as SQL, MongoDB, or similar
- Version control systems
- API architectures such as REST and gRPC
- Deploying with Docker and Kubernetes
- Cloud environments such as AWS
- Ability to work with other developers to ensure that systems are designed for reliability, performance and testability
- Experience in regulated medical device development or in another regulated field preferred
- Ability to spar with System Engineers to derive and refine requirements, risks, risk mitigations, and software architecture
- Able to explain facts, practices, policies, etc. to others within or outside of the organization. Occasionally need to convince others with mutual interests to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches
- Team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work well with others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong documentation skills
- Ability to influence, communicate, and collaborate across an organization
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and to collaborate with external parties
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.