Our Engineers support internal and external manufacturing operations remain operational, continuously improve and innovate. With our extensive range of facilities and environments, our Engineers have opportunities across many diverse areas including Biological, Chemical, Automation, Capital Projects, Maintenance, Safety, Process Development, Technical Services, Utilities and Validation.
Summary, Focus and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Maintenance and Utilities Supervisor and direction of the maintenance team leader, installs, maintains, operates, calibrates, repairs and troubleshoots refrigeration, air conditioning and air volume equipment and associated control systems. In compliance with operating procedures, Company and Government regulations, and current Good Manufacturing Procedures, assures the quality of our products and services are of the highest priority.
HVAC Mechanics will perform maintenance on any equipment or facilities which their skills support in a compliant quality manner. HVAC mechanics are part of the Utilities Technician work group and will primarily share work assignments within their job grouping with no inherent or "system imposed" limits.
Based on business needs, Utilities Technicians will perform maintenance activities including crossing between job groupings where skills are common. Work assignments, building and equipment are not exclusive to any craft, job grouping, or employee. Position may include some responsibility for maintaining significant business systems (e.g., CMMS data, planning, procurement, and scheduling) including the authority to assign, coordinate, and maintain work for others.
Equipment | Machinery
- Portable and fixed power and hand tools oxyacetylene torch, chemical cleaning equipment, protective clothing and safety devices, gauge manifolds, electronic/electric/pneumatic measuring devices, two-way radios, portable vacuum pumps, various refrigerant/heat transfer/lubrication media containers and handling equipment, maintenance rigging equipment | BAS keyboard/CRI ad CFC (chlorofluorocarbons), HCFC, and HFC leak detection reclaiming, recycling, recovery systems
- Installs, maintains, calibrates, repairs/overhauls, and operates air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, including compressors, pumps, evaporators, expansion valves, solenoid valves, all controls, condensers, and other related parts
- Ensures compliance with CFC-related regulations and qualifications minimizing losses and maximizing recovery via effective leak detection, maintenance procedures, and use of reclaiming, recycling, recovery equipment
- Troubleshoots and adjusts HVAC systems and air volume control equipment to maintain proper temperature, humidity, and air flow conditions
- Monitors and measures pressure drop of HVAC filters and replaces them as necessary, observing all system integrity and safety requirements
- Cleans HVAC coils, evaporators, and condensers via chemicals, air, special cleaning agents, high pressure wash units, etc. in order to maintain equipment in good operating condition
- Repairs and adjust refrigeration systems to maintain design parameters, e.g. temperature pressure, level, etc.
- Utilizing the Building Automation Systems (BAS) monitors, lyophilization systems, manufacturing and research environments, refrigeration units, incubators, etc. | Operates BAS terminal to monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain applicable system performance consistent with required unit and/or area conditions, following all change control procedures
- Answers alarms associated with monitoring systems and makes routine decisions concerning priority of response | Reviews unusual problems and situations with the Supervisor | Carries radio as directed for expeditious communication of problems | Works from work orders and PM checklists and maintains necessary work records and logs in a cGMP compliant manner, documenting activities via daily labor records
- Provides routine rigging and alignment work, as required by refrigeration system maintenance
- Communicates effectively in a professional manner with supervision to provide equipment and system status, parts and other work requirements
- Operates recovery, recycling and reclaiming devices to minimize refrigerant impact on environment and obtains appropriate certification as necessary to comply with applicable regulations
- Completes department training requirements, e.g. orientation, SOP, safety, etc. as directed from supervision
- Attend and actively participates in HAZOPS, waste walkthroughs, Kaizen events, or any other operations, Lean Six-Sigma, quality, safety or environmental training/initiatives
- Prepares and assists technicians, supervisors and planners in preparing labor and material estimates
- Assists supervision with the assigning, scheduling and prioritization of work order request using maintenance management systems
- Makes recommendations and prepares orders for spare parts, additional stock room items, tools, etc.
- Consults with Supervision and other mechanics on problem resolution/troubleshooting. Keeps Supervision informed of problem issues
- Write, execute, and complete safety permits
- Annual field verification for EL qualifications
- Required | High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) with Universal Refrigerant Certification and graduation from a recognized/accredited HVAC/Refrigeration trade school or community college or equivalent programs with at least six months full-time emphasis (650 hours) in air conditioning, refrigeration, electricity, and associated controls with at least three years of recent full-time experience as an HVAC/Refrigeration mechanic maintaining and troubleshooting commercial or industrial refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and associated controls: a) at least 20-Ton HVAC/Refrigeration systems and/or servicing low temperature refrigeration systems | b) ability to interface with automated building/refrigeration control systems OR
- Alternative 1 | High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) with completion of a formal Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice Program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent OR
- Alternative 2 | High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) with verified Military training equivalent to a recognized/accredited trade school or journeyman apprenticeship program and three years recent full-time military experience maintaining and troubleshooting refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and associated controls OR
- Alternative 3 | High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) and held the position of Air Conditioning/Refrigeration Mechanic at our Company, West Point, PA within the last seven years OR
- Alternative 4 | High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) and no formal education with ten years of recent full-time experience as an HVAC/Refrigeration mechanic maintaining and troubleshooting commercial or industrial refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and associated controls: a) at least 20-Ton HVAC/Refrigeration systems and/or servicing low temperature refrigeration systems | b) ability to interface with automated building/refrigeration control systems. T
Experience | Skills | Knowledge
- Ability to read refrigeration/HVAC drawings and electronic/electric/pneumatic
- Control schematics: Ability to analyze air conditioning and refrigeration problems and take corrective action; ability to upload and download programs and utilize computer-based Building Automation Systems for trouble shooting and monitoring system performance | Mechanical aptitude | Complete certification as a Universal Technician in refrigerant transition and recovery in accordance with Environmental Protection Agency 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F
- Heavy lifting, use and handling of solvent, acids and heat transfer media, heat and cold, dust and dirt, subject to immunization, safety shoes and glasses, subject to emergency call-in, refrigerant handling, working in confined spaces and roofs and at heights, possible work in areas of potentially infectious agents and available at all times during work shift to answer emergencies
- Take immunizations as prescribed by our Company Health Services Department
- Specific HVAC, Refrigeration, and/or Direct Digital Control vendor training programs.
- Recent experience maintaining centrifugal chillers, cascade refrigeration systems, screw compressors, and DOC systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in testing, adjusting, and balancing HVAC systems.
- Experience calibrating HVAC associated instrumentation.
Other Job Details
- Wear Company issued uniform per our Company's SOP
- Position is subject to a probationary period
- May be required to carry a pager and/or a radio
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of biopharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that's devoted to delivering a high-quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions. If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: