Requisition ID: SCI004685
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Infectious Diseases Vaccine Research Scientific Director (IDV RSD) is a therapeutic and disease expert who is responsible for facilitating and developing peer level relationships with the medical/scientific community who have potential interest in participating in Merck research studies including basic research collaborations, Merck investigator initiated studies program (MISP), company sponsored clinical trials, and outcomes research studies to support the Infectious Diseases portfolio. The Infectious Diseases Vaccines RSD will focus on antibacterials (including CDI), Cytomegalovirus (CMV), and Vaccine therapeutic areas.
This position will report to the Team Leader- Infectious Diseases Research Scientific Directors within Medical Affairs, Merck Research Labs (MRL).
• Support MRL strategy to accelerate Merck's broader Infectious Diseases portfolio through internal candidate development and/or external partnership opportunities.
• Identify, establish and maintain collaborative relationships with key investigators and institutions to identify and address scientific needs and stay abreast of current scientific trends in the Infectious Diseases.
• Support company initiated trials by interacting with primary investigators, assisting in site identification and screenings, and delivering study specific information using approved resources.
• Support data generation activities including the provision of Merck areas of research interest and MISP process to potential investigators including proposal review and presentation of study protocols during the study review process.
• Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding scientific issues (e.g. antimicrobial resistance, stewardship, vaccine unmet needs) that are intended to guide MRL's research programs.
• Collect and communicate research insights and intelligence on the evolving Infectious Diseases landscape, competition and other developments to help shape company research & development strategies.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through education efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, scientific workshops and review of key journals.
• Represent MRL at scientific meetings and congresses and contribute to MRL debriefs and post-congress reports.
• Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PharmD, MD, or PhD
Required Experience and Skills:
- A n advanced degree (Pharm.D, MD, PhD.).
- S ignificant prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical OR healthcare environment (e.g. hospital, clinic).
- A minimum of 5 years of Infectious Diseases experience (can include specialty residency or fellowship training).
- T he ability to travel up to 60% of the time.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Strong clinical/translational research experience as primary investigator and owner of individual research projects
- Knowledge of national and society disease prevention/treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, and FDA regulations.
- Ability to network and partner with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, and academic affiliated institutions.
- Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and the ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority.
- Deep therapeutic competency; abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Prior pharmaceutical industry experience (Field Medical Science Liaison like role or other research related position) in the area of infectious diseases, in particular vaccines.
Headquarters located in Upper Gwynedd, PA; however the position will work remotely.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Scientific Affairs - Field Based
Other Locations: DE, US; Washington, DC, US; VA, US; NC, US; MD, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck