Key Account Manager, Germany (f/m) Contract or Permanent
Area: Essen - Duisburg
At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. OCA, marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®,\" is approved in the U.S., EU and Canada for certain patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first product to be approved for PBC in over twenty years and our team is proud to have been pioneers in providing the first second-line treatment option to patients with such critical need. The Ocaliva® launch in 2016 also marked Intercept's successful transition from a development-stage company to a fully integrated commercial organization with continued growth.
In February 2019, Intercept reported positive topline results from the Phase 3 REGENERATE study of OCA in patients with liver fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). REGENERATE is the first and largest Phase 3 study in NASH - a chronic disease that threatens the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and Intercept is among the leading companies focused on the disease.
Based on the positive results from REGENERATE, Intercept submitted the first new drug application for a NASH treatment to the U.S. FDA in September 2019. This is an exciting time for Intercept, as the organization prepares for a potential approval and launch in NASH. As part of this effort, Intercept is beginning to build a new commercial organization, and this opportunity in Sales will play a pivotal role in preparing the company for the successful anticipated launch of OCA's second indication.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Key Account Manager (KAM), with a strong track record, to join our German Commercial team on a field-based basis, covering Essen - Duisburg and surrounding areas.
The KAM is of pivotal importance as he or she is the company's representative to pharmacists, physicians and other stakeholders in hospitals and office based locations and selected accounts in the community. The KAM is responsible for customers identified as being relevant to use our drugs for the benefit of patients. He or she will be responsible to develop and drive sales in an assigned district and accounts. A close cooperation with the field based Medical team is fundamental for this exciting job opportunity. The successful candidate should have the ability to build up and develop the infrastructure in the district to support growth and productivity goals. He or she will be highly motivated and capable of working autonomously but also in a team of professionals to help drive the success of our products and the company. The successful candidate should be energetic, confident, independent and entrepreneurial with a track record of proven success in previous jobs facing liver or gastro specialists or in a similar specialist environment.
The detailed accountabilities, the candidate profile and required experience is set out in the following brief.
The Key Account Manager is reporting to the Regional Sales Manager.
- Successful management of accounts/customers according to highest standards of compliance with principles of good corporate governance, professional and ethical behavior and safety standards, national legal requirements and regulations.
- Identification and development of new relevant accounts and customers in his/her district, fine-tuning the targeting of customers in collaboration with other functions of the company.
- Development of local action and communication plans and use of innovative concepts to drive the use of our innovative products
- Analysis of individual accounts and design of tactics for each of them depending on customer needs
- Relationship management of key customers not limited to prescribers but also regional opinion leaders
- Capability to build and develop strategic and long lasting alliances with key stakeholders and customers.
- Initiation, organization and implementation of medical educational events in the assigned district; participation at local and national congresses and events.
- Regular use of a CRM system for communication and documentation purposes and to analyze the market situation, trends, dynamics, competitors, new entries and deriving actions from it.
- Management of an allocated financial budget for scientific events or other spending.
- Most of the time is spent with customers, almost daily travel is required within the district and outside at sales meetings or congresses.
- Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
- Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
- Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
Experience and Skills
- Significant experience as a sales representative in the pharmaceutical industry with experience as specific specialist, preferable for liver or gastro diseases
- Strong scientific expertise and deep knowledge of physicians structures, patient pathways and requirements
- Strong selling competence and -techniques, mixed with economical knowledge and skills
- Empathy in working with colleagues, customers and other stakeholders
- Results-oriented, analytical-, strategic-, communication- and decision making skills.
- High expertise in using modern information technology, internally and with customers
- Certified medical representative (§75 AMG) with robust medical expertise
- Basic skills in English, both oral and written communications.
- Fluency in German, both oral and written communications.
- Scientific University degree (Medicine, Biology, Biochemistry, etc.) preferred
- Experience with product launches into the specialty or orphan market, good understanding of the science of medicinal products preferred
- Experience with products in liver diseases would be beneficial
- Previous track-record of success in managing accounts and customers with a robust network in the designated district, good organizational skills
- Track record of diplomacy, judgment and team playing.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Open to a new challenge of setting up an important player in the field of non-viral liver diseases - Intercept Pharma Deutschland GmbH - with an entrepreneurial spirit for this outstanding opportunity.
- Successful track record of identifying and influencing key decision makers
- Results orientated with a sense of urgency and customer focus, resilient when overcoming obstacles.
- Articulates and reinforces the purpose and direction of their area of responsibility in relation to ICPTs overall vision and direction.
- Continually raises standards of performance for one's group. Pushes self and group to do better than expected by changing or modifying approaches to the work and regularly communicates these new expectations to team members
- Consistently invests time to analyze and understand underlying reasons for industry, market, or scientific issues as they affect one's own area
- Stays confident when challenged, stating the rationale for one's views clearly while listening to and respecting others' right to different opinions. After stating one's views clearly and confidently, stands by team and organizational decisions regardless of personal viewpoint
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
- Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity
- Understanding the legal and compliance environment
- Ability to have fun!
This is a unique opportunity to make a huge impact as individual contributor in the German Commercial team, and to play a key role in the success of the expansion of Intercept Germany.
To apply, please send an up-to-date CV and cover letter in English