Requisition ID: ADM010144
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
We are seeking a talented and motivated Lead Associate - Administrative Services to provide comprehensive administrative support to the Associate Vice President, Corporate Legal and the Executive Director, Legal Administration in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC). The role will also support the Legal Administration department's activities and projects, keeping the department organized, and developing and implementing best practices.
This position requires initiative, high attention to detail and the ability to learn quickly with a demonstrated ability and willingness to continuously acquire new competencies. It also requires good judgment, confidentiality, strong work ethic, a high degree of accountability, excellent organizational and computer skills, as well as cross-functional teamwork.
The primary responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- General Secretarial/Clerical duties including managing calendars; setting up and accepting meeting invitations; gathering and organizing pre-reads and background information for meetings when appropriate; and handles document revisions and proofreading
- Sort and review correspondence on a daily basis. Organize and maintain electronic and physical filing systems in accordance with records retention policies
- Produces/completes various work assignments requiring advanced analytical ability, independent judgment, creativity and problem-solving skills
- Track and report on various department activities; analyze complex data and prepare charts, reports and presentations as needed
- Collaboration and Communication Skills must be at a level to effectively interact with Merck executives and internal/external clients both on-site and remotely to maintain workflow
- Work requires the coordination and performance of multiple tasks while understanding the project principles and technical skills related to own work assignments
- Work priorities and activities are reviewed with little supervision
- Coordinate and book travel arrangements; prepare itineraries
- Prepare expense reports, purchase orders and payment requests in COMET - ensuring compliance to Merck guidelines
- Assist with the reconciliation of Legal Administration's budget
- Plan and coordinate meetings, including worldwide department summits and meetings with external stakeholders; managing meeting timelines, coordinating working teams, and tracking budgets
- Manage third-party subscriptions and resources, including renewals and memberships for managers and the department
- Processes all OGC related sponsorships/donations through the Polaris Grants Management System and assist with placing ads and prepare/maintain attendee lists
- Assist with management of department operations, such as HR processes, new hire onboarding, communications, memberships, training, etc.
- Maintain and order departmental supplies
- May coordinate special projects within the division/area and assist with other responsibilities as needed
E ducation and Required Experience:
- Required: High School Diploma
- Preferred: Advanced education or certifications such as (e.g. Certified Administrative Professional, Project Management Professional Certification, Professional in Human Resources Certification)
- Minimum of 8 years of Administrative Assistant experience, with at least 3 years of administrative experience supporting senior executives (Executive Director, VP) or above
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous assignments, managing to critical deadlines, with extraordinary attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Experience in a legal office/paralegal environment a plus
- Advanced computer skills using MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneNote, etc.) and enterprise communication and travel solutions (e.g., WebEx, Concur).
- SAP experience processing: Expense Reports; Purchase Orders and Payment Requests, Vendor Add Forms, as well as the capability to run reports within SAP
- Extensive experience performing administrative work that requires analysis, initiative, leadership, flexibility, tact and independent judgment and impeccable record keeping and record retention skills
- Experience with event planning and coordination
- Experience with department budgeting a plus
- Ability to handle sensitive data with discretion and confidentiality
- Capacity to adapt and work effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to influence others to follow department SOPs
- Displays innovative ideas and solutions and capacity to identify and eliminate redundant work efforts and inefficient processes
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Administrative Svcs Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark