The job details are as follows:
What We Do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of "medicines for life". We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
In 2021, we became the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
How you’ll contribute
Lead the development of a robust simulation framework used at the Organ Manufacturing Group. Adapt existing algorithms or invent new ones to perform simulations on complex 3D geometries. Understand the governing equations used in fluid mechanics, mass transfer, and model deformation and the constraints they create for computations. Work in C++ to operate on geometries represented in a voxel grid format e.g. OpenVDB. Provide technical expertise in the areas of numerical methods, PDEs, and computational geometry.
- Lead efforts for research and implement methods for simulation of fluid mechanics, mass transfer, and model deformation
- Knit a large variety of models, algorithms, and methods together to solve complex multiphysics problems
- Create complex models that engineers can use to help validate/confirm results of simulations; communicate with engineers to get the values of specific material properties
- Contribute to the overall strategic goals of software development and integration of software with 3D printers
- Drive and support efforts to use high-performance computing for large-scale simulations; work with high performance libraries like OpenVDB
- Present simulation data to other teams that work or rely on organ function
- Maintain a deep understanding of current and emerging algorithms in numerical methods, PDEs, computational geometry, and voxel grids
- Perform other duties as assigned
For this role you will need
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in an engineering discipline, computer science, applied math, or related field of study
- 2+ years of industry or postdoctoral experience working with numerical methods and novel algorithms related to PDEs
- Experience with software and formats such as Mathematica, C++, OpenVDB, OpenCV, STL/PLY
- Knowledge of numerical methods relevant to modeling and simulation of PDEs
- Experience writing software for modeling PDEs
- Experience in manipulating voxel grids and image data
- Experience with high-performance computing e.g. TBB, OpenMP
- Experience with 3D representation paradigms such as F-Rep, B-Rep (triangulated mesh), voxel grid, and level set
- Ability to develop algorithms, methods, and procedures related to 3D geometry
- Ability to work independently and also to collaborate with a team
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet milestones
- Experience in software development project management practices
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
While United Therapeutics does not require vaccination for Covid-19 at this time, we strongly encourage all employees and visitors to remain up to date on vaccinations and boosters to protect one another from illness. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere and comply with customers’ credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination against Covid -19, the influenza virus, and other illnesses that could be harmful to healthcare staff and patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities