New hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
Our Animal Health division is seeking a highly motivated individual as a Maintenance Mechanic in the Maintenance and Engineering Department at our Millsboro, Delaware Manufacturing and R&D Sites. The successful candidate will be responsible for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing equipment, utility systems, and buildings needed for the testing, manufacturing, storage, and packaging of Animal Health Vaccines and related materials. The successful candidate shall perform general maintenance, mechanical, and electrical troubleshooting on equipment systems, and will also need to be experienced with controls within the plant and the facility. Responsibilities also include performing preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
•Direct involvement in the overall maintenance, inspection and repair of highly technical equipment, facilities, and utilities in a biopharmaceutical Industrial/Manufacturing environment.
•This position partners with manufacturing leaders to ensure production equipment needs are prioritized
•Responsible for preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance and troubleshooting of manufacturing and facility equipment/infrastructure.
•Routine Operations will include troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, performing root cause analysis on system failures and substandard equipment performance, using standard problem solving tools and methods to resolve machine and system issues in some cases under aseptic/clean room conditions.
•Experience with pneumatic and electronic controls, wiring methods, and instrumentation is required.
•Operate efficiently, all hand/power tools, test instruments and equipment normally used by this trade and maintain/return in good condition.
•Ability to perform work outside of trade to including general maintenance duties as assigned by Management.
•Safety requirements are strongly adhered to; this individual must be attentive to his/her own safety and the safety of others in the workplace.
This position requires varying environmental conditions, such as: indoor/outdoor work, varying temperatures along with secondary gowning, entering coolers and freezers, hearing conservation areas (annual audiograms required). Majority of time is spent standing, walking, bending pushing, pulling, lifting and working at or above shoulder height. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is required per Safety Policy. Examples of required PPE are: Arc Flash rated clothing and PPE, safety glasses, safety shoes, work gloves, respiratory protection, etc.
- High School Diploma/ GED or Technical Trade School Diploma
- Must be available and willing to work weekends. This position will work Tuesday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:30pm
- Must be willing and able to get wastewater operator’s license within 1 year of employment.
- Experience with general plumbing and pipefitting work
- Ability to read and interpret blue-prints/schematics
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to meet all physical requirements associated with this job, including but not limited to: lifting/carrying up to 50lbs; working from ladders and elevated platforms
- Experience working with OSHA general industry standards including hot work and lockout tag out
- Experience with the use of computerized systems and software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Participate in the current on-call rotation.
- Applicants should actively support, participate and embrace an empowered team culture and have excellent communication skills
- Applicant should have previously demonstrated strong team skills, flexibility, motivation, ability to troubleshoot/problem solve, with a strong emphasis around safety and compliance practices.
- Delaware wastewater operator's license
- Biotech / pharmaceutical GMP manufacturing industry experience.
- Experience with industrial washing and sterilization equipment
- Experience with equipment including Autoclaves, Glass washers, Bioreactors, Steam in place systems, etc.
- Experience supporting a fast paced manufacturing environment is an advantage.
- Experience maintaining computerized records using current maintenance software (SAP)
- Working knowledge with an automated building management system (Siemens and JCI)
- Interaction with internal customers and external vendors
- Lean Six Sigma experience
- Any of the following trade licenses would be an advantage: Universal HVAC license, Masters electrician license, Boiler operator’s license
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
- If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
2nd - Evening
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: