Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients' lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology - areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you're looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients' lives and being a great place to work, we hope you'll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea and narcolepsy has a significant impact on patients' health, putting them at risk of dangerous situations (e.g. while driving) and can affect their general mood, causing depression. It can also impact on relationships and activities of normal daily living. Despite this high unmet need, sleep medicine is a relatively under-developed and under-recognised area in the UK, with the management of patients limited to a small number of specialist centres.
Reporting to the Medical Director for UK/Ireland, the Associate/Medical Director Sleep, is responsible for the development and delivery of the UK/Ire Medical Affairs strategy and programs that support the successful development and commercialisation of Jazz Pharmaceuticals products in the sleep medicine franchise. The incumbent will be responsible for building and leading the Sleep Medical Affairs department. He/she will be positioned as the Medical expert lead to both internal and external audiences.
The role will demand strong leadership qualities, high levels of cross functional collaboration and the ability to influence across all levels of the organization. The incumbent will need to balance the requirement for strong strategic thinking with a need to execute in a fast moving, organization.
The incumbent is responsible for ensuring all activities are executed in accordance with regulatory and legal frameworks of the country well as Jazz Pharmaceuticals Policies and Healthcare compliance procedures.
Leadership of Sleep Medical Affairs UK/Ire
- Lead, develop and build a high performing, fully integrated Medical Affairs Department
- Manage, coach and develop Medical Affairs personnel (direct and indirect reports)
- Role model and exemplify Jazz Cultural values
- Be a strong strategic partner to cross functional colleagues including Commercial and Market Access
Ensure systems, processes and ways of working are in place to facilitate:
- Effective execution of the medical plan
- Development and maintenance of a high level of knowledge of sleep medicine related clinical and scientific literature in order to position him/herself as an expert in the field.
- Expert scientific knowledge of all Medical Affairs team members
- Effective Key Account Planning with cross functional partners
- Effective planning and utilization of national Key Opinion Leaders
- Data generation activities including reactive support of Investigator Sponsored Trial requests
- Appropriate positioning of Jazz Pharmaceutical medicines in medical guidelines
- High standards with regards to PV, compliance and SOPs
- Review and approval of medical and marketing materials and activities in line with national regulations
- Delivery of quality medical information to internal and external customers
Strategic and Tactical Planning
- Ensure development and delivery of the UK/Ire Sleep Medical Affairs strategy and plan in close collaboration with business partners and aligned to the EU/RoW strategy
- Set departmental SMART objectives and track, measure and report progress of plans and budgets
- Ensure the UK/Ire business needs are effectively communicated to partners in the EU/RoW regional office, so that there is alignment on strategy and plans at all levels
- Develop influential relationships with National Key Opinion Leaders
- Attend appropriate scientific congresses to stay abreast of developments and to support National KOL activities
- Support development of Jazz EU/RoW positioning as the scientific authority on sleep medicine and support national KOL advocacy through provision of scientific and clinical information via the MSL team
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in sleep medicine, respiratory medicine, neurology or other allied therapeutic areas highly desirable
- Experience in consumer healthcare an advantage
- Previous medical affairs or clinical development experience essential
- Must have experience of launching new products and launch readiness activities including:
- Disease awareness education in under-developed areas of high unmet need
- Market shaping experience
- Deep understanding of the UK healthcare system and in particular the needs of payors such as NICE
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrable ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Strong inter-personal relationship building skills/collaboration and teamwork
- A proven track record of building high performing Medical Affairs teams
- Ability to critically analyse complex data
- Excellent communication skills, including strong presentation skills
- Must have experience in running Phase IV studies, lifecycle management and supporting ISTs
- Experience in establishing strong partnerships with academic and patient advocacy societies
- Flexible, independent, and proactive working style.
- Willingness to travel frequently
- Excellent command of spoken English
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Strong preference for a Medical Doctor/pharmaceutical physician or
- Graduate with a higher scientific qualification e.g. MSc, PhD or pharmacy etc. and relevant TA experience
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.