Job Title: Medical Science Liaison (MSL), m/w
Location: Field based, Germany (Cologne/Bonn/Ruhr)
At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow forpatients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid(OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. OCA, marketed under the brand name "Ocaliva®,"is approved in the U.S., EU and Canada for certain patients with primarybiliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva®was the first product to be approved for PBC in over twenty years and our teamis proud to have been pioneer in providing the first second-line treatmentoption to patients with such critical need. The Ocaliva® launch in 2016 also marked Intercept'ssuccessful transition from a development-stage company to a fully integratedcommercial organization with continued growth.
In February 2019, Intercept reported positive topline results from thePhase 3 REGENERATE study of OCA in patients with liver fibrosis due tononalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), which impacts the lives of millions ofpeople in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments forNASH, and Intercept is among the leading companies focused on the disease.
As Intercept continues to build its position as the leader inprogressive non-viral liver disease and pursues its goal of bringing the firstapproved therapy to patients with NASH, we are seeking a Medical Science Liaison(MSL) to join our Medical Affairs team in Germany.
The role ofthe MSL is non-promotional and field based. It provides a key Intercept MedicalAffairs interface with Healthcare Professionals (HCPs), Pharmacists andScientists to enable scientific exchange, ultimately to ensure the safe andeffective use of Intercept Medicines. Working internally, the MSL role can alsohelp to shape strategy so that Intercept activities and deliverables align withthe non-promotional needs of HCPs and the healthcare system.
MSLcommunication relating to licensed, off label or pipeline product use isrequired to be reactive unless proactive communication is necessary to protectpatient safety. The MSL may proactively seek and elicit information regardingclinical practice, current scientific thinking or other aspects of thetherapeutic area for educational purposes and in order to inform companystrategy and activities as set out above.
Thesuccessful candidate must be able to perform each of the followingsatisfactorily:
- Providing non-promotional support to enquiries received by theMedical Information department, by colleagues in commercial functions or directlyreceived by them. Whether enquiries relate to within or off label use ofIntercept medicines, the highest quality of available information must be madeavailable to optimise outcomes
- Providing fair, balanced and factual information upon request. Thismay be take the form of a group presentation (at symposia, scientific meetingsor departmental meetings), face to face discussion or written communication
- The delivery of scientific and medical training internally andexternally with clinicians, pharmacists, nurses and associated scientificpersonnel.
- Collaboration with Clinical Operations to provide support toinvestigator and CRO personnel in the conduct of Intercept studies andprovision of reactive support to investigator initiated research
- Reporting of adverse event information and proactive follow upof safety reports as required by the pharmacovigilance department
- Collaboration with external experts and thought leaders onscientific and clinical papers / posters for publication in medical journalsand at congresses
- Assisting with evidence generation and stakeholder managementneeds of Health Technology Asessment andpatient pathway optimisation activities
- Gathering and reporting of scientific and medical insightsresulting from their external interactions
- Assisting the Regional Medical Director/Medical Director asrequired to execute the Medical Affairs plan, including the conduct of AdvisoryBoard or other bona fide elicitation activities (eg. External steering groupmeetings, 1:1 consultancy)
- Working cross functionally withincountry brand teams, providing sound medical support and input into plans,informed by in depth therapeutic area, external stakeholder and local healthsystem knowledge
- Continued personal andprofessional development through identification and proposal of suitabletraining, Continuous Professional Development and other therapeutic areaeducational activities to be approved by their line manager
- At all times working strictly withinthe remit of local codes of practice, laws and regulations
- Understand the legal and compliance environment and drivecollaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
- Drive the spirit of "ONE Team" across all functions by supportinga team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
- Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
Experience and Skills
- Medical degree, PhD, PharmD or relevant higher science degree
- Firsthand knowledge and experience of hepatology as a healthcare professional or relevant experience in a previous pharmaceutical role
- Other relevant experience in hepatology, gastroenterology and/or endocrinology
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal, written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- The ability to build and develop suitable external HCP and scientific networks and work collaboratively with diverse internal stakeholders
- A strong scientific background and excellent organisational skills
- The MSL must be prepared to spend the major proportion of their time in the field, entailing frequent travel within Europe, and occasionally further afield
- The ability to work flexibly and prioritise competing demands with minimal supervision
- Excellent working knowledge of the codes, laws and regulations governing the Pharmaceutical Industry and the conduct of personnel
- Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
- Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity
- Understanding the legal and compliance environment
- Ability to have fun!
This is a unique opportunity where you will have a chance to work in a role offering a high level of autonomy, and a chance to play a key role in the German Medical Affairs team.
To apply, please send an up-to-date cv and cover letter in English