Job Title: Medical Science Liaison (MSL), Central Italy
Job Location: Field-based, CentralItaly (Ideally Bologna or Florence)
At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®\" in the U.S., EU and Canada for the treatment of patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first medication to be approved for PBC in over twenty years, and sales continue to grow more than four years after its initial approval in 2016.
Intercept has also established the leading clinical development program in advanced fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a disease that impacts the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and the REGENERATE study of OCA remains the only Phase 3 trial to have generated positive results in the disease. A second Phase 3 trial, REVERSE, is evaluating OCA in patients with compensated cirrhosis due to NASH, with results expected in 2021.
People at Intercept are passionate about patients. You'll see their photos lining our walls and hear their stories in town halls. We're equally passionate about our team and ensuring each member reaches their potential. We brave new challenges together. That's how we find better ways to get things done and break down barriers. It's also how we make it fun to work here.
At Intercept, we foster an environment that celebrates creativity, collaboration, and mutual respect. We never hesitate to lean on our teammates and work together. Our relatively small size means you partner with accessible leaders who know you by name. This brings accountability and growth, which all add up to more opportunities to learn something new every day. A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is engrained in both our culture and our business. For self-motivated leaders who are ready to make a difference in the lives of patients, Intercept is a great place to be.
As Intercept continues to build its position as the leader in progressive non-viral liver disease and pursues its goal of bringing the first approved therapy to patients with NASH, and through expansion of our Italian Medical Affairs team, we are seeking a Medical Science Liaison (MSL), based in the Centre (ideally Bologna or Florence).
The role of the MSL is non-promotional and field based. It provides a key Intercept Medical Affairs interface with Healthcare Professionals (HCPs), Pharmacists and Scientists to enable scientific exchange, ultimately to ensure the safe and effective use of Intercept Medicines. Working internally, the MSL role can also help to shape strategy so that Intercept activities and deliverables align with the non-promotional needs of HCPs and the healthcare system.
MSL communication relating to licensed, off label or pipeline product use is required to be reactive unless proactive communication is necessary to protect patient safety. The MSL may proactively seek and elicit information regarding clinical practice, current scientific thinking or other aspects of the therapeutic area for educational purposes and in order to inform company strategy and activities as set out above.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
- Providing non-promotional support to enquiries received by the Medical Information department, by colleagues in commercial functions or directly received by them. Whether enquiries relate to within or off label use of Intercept medicines, the highest quality of available information must be made available to optimise outcomes
- Providing fair, balanced and factual information upon request. This may be take the form of a group presentation (at symposia, scientific meetings or departmental meetings), face to face discussion or written communication
- The delivery of scientific and medical training internally and externally with clinicians, pharmacists, nurses and associated scientific personnel.
- Collaboration with Clinical Operations to provide support to investigator and CRO personnel in the conduct of Intercept studies and provision of reactive support to investigator initiated research
- Reporting of adverse event information and proactive follow up of safety reports as required by the pharmacovigilance department
- Collaboration with external experts and thought leaders on scientific and clinical papers / posters for publication in medical journals and at congresses
- Assisting with evidence generation and stakeholder management needs of Health Economic submission/ appraisal and patient pathway optimisation activities
- Gathering and reporting of scientific and medical insights resulting from their external interactions
- Assisting the Regional Medical Director/Medical Director as required to execute the Medical Affairs plan, including the conduct of Advisory Board or other bona fide elicitation activities (eg. External steering group meetings, 1:1 consultancy)
- Working cross functionally within country brand teams, providing sound medical support and input into plans, informed by in depth therapeutic area, external stakeholder and local health system knowledge
- Continued personal and professional development through identification and proposal of suitable training, CPD and other TA educational activities to be approved by their line manager
- At all times working strictly within the remit of local codes of practice, laws and regulations
- Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
- Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
- Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
Experience and Skills
- Medical degree, PhD, PharmD or relevant higher science degree
- Firsthand knowledge and experience of hepatology as a healthcare professional or relevant experience in a previous pharmaceutical role
- Other relevant experience in hepatology, gastroenterology and/or endocrinology
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal, written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- The ability to build and develop suitable external HCP and scientific networks and work collaboratively with diverse internal stakeholders
- A strong scientific background and excellent organisational skills
- The MSL must be prepared to spend the major proportion of their time in the field, entailing frequent travel within Europe, and occasionally further afield
- The ability to work flexibly and prioritise competing demands with minimal supervision
- Excellent working knowledge of the codes, laws and regulations governing the Pharmaceutical Industry and the conduct of personnel
- Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
- Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Come Together, Be Yourself, Own the Solution, Embrace the Challenge, Keep Exploring
- Understanding the legal and compliance environment
- Ability to have fun!
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in the Intercept Italian Medical Affairs team, where you will be given a high level of autonomy and chance to work innovatively.
To apply, please send an up-to-date cv and cover letter in English before Monday 18 th October 2021