As Intercept continues to build its position as the leader in progressive non-viral liver disease, we are seeking a Medical Science Liaison. The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based Medical Affairs professional and is primarily responsible for scientific exchange with thought leaders and other HCPs in their territory. The MSL will serve as a resource and scientific expert non-viral liver disease and associated treatments, including those of Intercept Pharmaceuticals, advancing Intercept's medical and scientific program aligned with corporate goals and objectives.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily, with or without an accommodation:
* Identify, gain access to, and develop professional relationships with thought leaders, active and potential study investigators, providers at academic and non-academic institutions and professional organizations within assigned geography
* Demonstrate an astute ability to effectively articulate relevant scientific and clinical information relative to therapeutic area and Intercept's product life cycle to HCPs and researchers
* Engage in and respond to clinical inquiries with scientifically accurate and unbiased discussions - while maintaining a high standard of integrity and professionalism in full compliance with company policies
* Utilize scientific resources to deliver impactful presentations in a variety of different settings, including, but not limited to, advisory boards, patient advocacy group engagements, and payer interactions
* Support research initiatives across development; provide support to clinical site investigators as needed
* Serve as a liaison between key corporate functional areas and HCPs who express interest in conducting investigator-initiated research, to facilitate review and consideration of research proposals
* Provide accurate, unbiased assessment of community needs to senior management
* Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise in specific therapeutic area through continuous learning and knowledge of the therapeutic area-related scientific literature
* Attend and support scientific/professional meetings/conferences consistent with areas of therapeutic responsibility
* Work collaboratively with Intercept personnel across functional areas, including but not limited to Medical Affairs, Clinical Research and Commercial organizations
* Serve, as needed, as a scientific resource to support activities such as medical congress staffing, advisory boards, and training initiatives
* Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
* Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
* Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
* Advanced biomedical sciences degree (MD, DO, PharmD, PhD) preferred
* Biomedical sciences degree (NP, PA, RPh) or Master's degree in healthcare-related study (Nursing, Health Policy) accepted
* Experience in designated therapeutic (gastroenterology/hepatology) area preferred
* 3+ years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry-related experience required (or equivalent)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
* Must have knowledge of and be willing to comply with all regulatory/compliance policies consistent with position
* Must maintain comprehensive proficiencies with Microsoft Project, Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and associated applications
* Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills are required
* Exceptional interpersonal skills and problem-solving capabilities
* Proven meeting planning skills
* Ability to work effectively across a matrix organization
* Ability to work independently and prioritize with minimal daily instruction
* Ability to think strategically in order to improve current processes
* Ability to complete goals within allotted timeframes and deliver high quality results
* Ability to travel (up to 70%)
* Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
* Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Come Together, Be Yourself, Own the Solution, Embrace the Challenge, and Keep Exploring
* Understanding the legal and compliance environment
* Ability to have fun and thrive in a growing, diverse and inclusive work environment
People at Intercept are passionate about patients. You'll see our patient photos lining our walls and hear their stories in town halls. We're equally passionate about our team and ensuring each member from all dimensions of diversity feels included and has the opportunity to reach their potential. We recognize the power of a diverse, equitable and inclusive (DEI) work force, and how it enriches the professional lives of our team members. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion drives innovation and connects us to the patients and communities we serve.
At Intercept, we foster an environment that celebrates creativity, collaboration, and mutual respect. We never hesitate to lean on our teammates and work together. As we grow, we want to make every effort to provide a safe and open environment for professionals of every background and provide knowledge on how to work inclusively and equitably to make Intercept a great place to work.
Our relatively small size means you partner with accessible leaders who know you by name. This brings accountability and growth, which all add up to more opportunities to learn something new every day. For self-motivated leaders who are ready to make a difference in the lives of patients, Intercept is a great place to be.
At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®\" in the U.S., EU and Canada for the treatment of patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. In 2016, Ocaliva® was the first medication to be approved for PBC in over twenty years, and sales continue to grow.
Intercept has also established the leading clinical development program in advanced fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a disease that impacts the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone and for which there are currently no available treatments. In December 2022, Intercept re-submitted its NDA for fibrosis due to NASH to the FDA based on positive data from its phase 3 REGENERATE trial.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The anticipated starting salary range for this position is $148,000 to $232,000. This represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range, based on various factors including, but not limited to, experience, skillset, and performance.
The salary range listed is just one component of our total compensation package. Successful applicants will be eligible to receive annual bonuses and equity in the Company, at the discretion of the Company. Intercept also provides a competitive suite of benefits, including:
* 401(k) plan with company match
* Rewards and recognition program
* Health care benefits (medical, Rx, dental, and vision insurance)
* Sick and safe leave (unlimited, subject to certain limitations, and in accordance with disability coordination, as applicable)
* Parental leave benefits
* A generous Paid Time Off program of 20 days per year
* 10 paid holidays per year
* 4 paid Personal Days per year
* 2 paid Volunteer Days per year
* Numerous well-being and work-life programs
Employment decisions at the Company are made without unlawful regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including gender, pregnancy, childbirth or medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected genetic information, marital or partnership status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Experience and Skills
Please Enter Required Skills here