Requisition ID: USW001934
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
FUNCTION: Including but not limited to:
Under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and direction of the maintenance team leader, installs, aligns and repairs various types of machinery. Performs rigging, welding and fabrication. Make modifications using necessary materials. Millwrights will perform maintenance on any equipment or facilities which their skills support in a compliant quality manner. Millwrights are part of the Mechanical Technician work group and will primarily share work assignments within their job grouping with no inherent or "system imposed" limits. Based on business needs, Mechanical Technicians will perform maintenance activities including crossing between job groupings where skills are common. Work assignments, buildings and equipment are not exclusive to any craft, job grouping, or employee. Position may include some responsibility for utilizing or performing within significant business systems (e. g., Maximo data, planning, procurement, and scheduling) including the authority to assign, coordinate, and maintain work for others.
EQUIPMENT: Including but not limited to:
Gas, heli-arc and electrical welding equipment, miscellaneous hand tools, power metal saws, drill press, rigging equipment, squares, dial indicators, laser alignment equipment, calipers, micrometers and other gauges required in millwright work. Motors, pumps, drives, drive chains, belt drives, mechanical seals, gear boxes, mechanical clutches, rigging, welding, conveyor systems, steam turbines, gas turbines, fork trucks, man lifts, hydraulic and pneumatics, cylinders, air compressors, air handler, chiller towers, fans, dust collectors, shafts and bearings.
DUTIES: Including but not limited to:
1. Performs preventative maintenance and mechanical repairs on industrial and utility equipment, including but not limited to wasted heat and co-generation equipment and operating equipment.
2. Dismantles, lays out, moves and installs various types of machines, equipment, and vessels.
3. Repairs equipment by installing bushings, sprockets, bearings, adjustable belts, packing glands, seals and gaskets. Analyzes problems and takes appropriate corrective action(s).
4. Repairs broken parts by welding, brazing, cutting, or spot welding. Fabricates new parts for machinery, and equipment using gas, heli-arc and electrical welding equipment. Uses plasma cutting equipment. Works with brass, cast iron, steel, stainless steel, aluminum, plastics and synthetic materials.
5. Operates equipment necessary to core drill or bore masonry and concrete. Installs anchors and fasteners and machine faces.
6. Constructs rigging necessary to move equipment. Also constructs rigging for other crafts.
7. Tests equipment for pressure leaks. Also inspects sealing components, O-rings, seals, gaskets and machine faces.
8. Installs grout, shims, etc., necessary to set and/or level equipment.
9. Lubricates new equipment or existing equipment upon repair and assembly.
10. Attends and actively participates in HAZOPS, waste walkthroughs, Kaizen events, or any other operations, lean six-sigma, quality, safety or environmental training/initiatives as required.
11. Prepares and assists technicians, supervisors, etc. in preparing labor and material estimates.
12. Enters/charges labor hours using the computerized maintenance management system and uses the Office Suite software where applicable.
13. Assists supervision with the assigning, scheduling and prioritization of work order request using the maintenance management systems.
14. Makes recommendations and prepares orders for parts, spare parts, additional stock room items, tools, etc.
15. Consults with supervision and other mechanics on problem resolution/troubleshooting. Keeps supervision informed of problem issues.
16. Installs/repairs vibration analysis parts, records vibration readings, reports and data, as requested.
Functional Area Definition Reserved for positions in the US covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Job Family Definition.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Position Qualifications: (please provide below)
Education Minimum Requirement:
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) and
- Completion of a formal millwright apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent.
- Or Graduate of a recognized trade school with subjects that include blueprint reading, welding, brazing, and the use of various types of instruments and tools to repair and align machines and equipment.
1. Additional training as a machinist, welder, including mechanical expertise in the food and pharmaceutical industry.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Ten years of recent Industrial experience "Verified" as a millwright, journeyman millwright or mechanical technician. Experience must include repairing a broad range of industrial machinery and equipment on both a large and small scale. Experience must include brazing and welding (gas, heli-arc, and electrical) also rigging, hoists, man-lifts, for, truck operation or hydraulic cranes.
- Or completion of four years of on-the-job training as a part of a formal millwright/mechanical technician apprentice program.
1. Broad experience as a machinist or as an industrial mechanic with food or pharmaceutical background.
Equipment or Machinery Operated:
Welding - Arc/MIG/TIG, plasma cutter, oxyacetylene cutting and brazing, miscellaneous hand tools, micrometers, Vernier calipers, dial indicators, power metals saws, drill presses, band saw, rigging equipment - chain blocks/hydraulic jacks/hoist/slings, etc., squares, leveling devices and levels, ladders, hydraulic presses, bearing pullers, specialty tooling, platform lifts, fork trucks, grinders, grease guns, and pneumatic tools. In addition, they must test equipment for pressure and leaks as well as inspect sealing components: 'O'-rings, seals, gaskets, and machine faces.
Special Skills or Abilities:
Ability to read blueprints, drawings, technical manuals and based on them, performs necessary operations for the installation and/or repair of equipment. Certified in/for Hand Signals.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Job: USW, LOCAL 2-86
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 6
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia