The Key Account Manager (KAM) position is focused on launching and establishing access for a novel hospital antibiotic product to hospitals and hospital systems within an assigned territory. This includes educating formulary decision makers, key stakeholders, and clinicians on the clinical benefits of the product and establishing and gaining formulary adoption within the institutional IV antibiotic space.
KAMs are responsible for calling on a variety of targeted healthcare professionals within the institutional setting, planning, implementing and taking ownership of their territory plans to enhance institutional awareness and access to Shionogi's Anti-infective product(s). To do this successfully, they must have a deep understanding of how to navigate these institutions and systems in order to gain access to and impact these key decision makers.
The ideal KAM should have a strong knowledge base in how hospital products are purchased, ordered, administered and established for formulary inclusion within the hospital setting. The ability to communicate complex clinical data is key, in order to demonstrate competence and communication of a highly scientific space to evidence driven stakeholders. KAMs are also required to understand the formulary process and reimbursement policies for targeted institutions and systems. The KAMs should also possess strong analytical skills and embrace opportunities for growth and expanded responsibility.
- Promote product in the geographical area by navigating the institutional formulary approval process, as well as educating customers on appropriate use of products.
- Understand and leverage the access landscape to establish/expand institutional product access through effective engagement with Pharmacy Directors, ID Pharmacists, ID Physicians, Microbiologists, and other key customers.
- Effectively and consistently call on and educate physicians and other stakeholders within targeted institutions on the use of Shionogi's anti-infective product(s) through one-on-one meetings and presentations, professional education programs and other appropriate means.
- Deep knowledge of hospital practices including formulary management and pharmaceutical product review.
- Establish professional relationships and maintain an effective communication network with the customer at multiple levels, including ID opinion leaders, key hospital medical staff, pharmacies and more.
- Create opportunities for product education while enhancing Shionogi's image and commitment to medicine, working directly with local/regional thought leaders and professional societies.
- Responsible for ensuring high level of call and field productivity; expected to meet and exceed expectations for call plans, with five full-time days in the field each week.
- Collaborate with Regional Account Management, Market Access Leadership, Medical Affairs, and Marketing on all needs and opportunities, KOL touch points, and formulary changes.
- Identify and communicate field issues, opportunities and competitive activities through appropriate organizational venues.
- Achieve formulary adoption goals within territory while adhering to all ethical market access practices and required regulations.
- Execute brand strategies to ensure a consistent company marketing message.
- Analyze territory information and insights to develop and execute effective account plans, optimize routing, and maximize field resources to achieve results.
- Responsible for accurately reporting field activities, territory expenses and submitting written reports as necessary by the deadline set forth and defined by Shionogi management.
- Develop positive and interactive relationships with peers, customer and company managers
- Perform Company business in accordance with all regulations (i.e., PDMA/Sample), Company policy and procedures. Demonstrates high ethical and professional standards at all times.
- Actively pursue continuous learning and professional development on efficient sales, communication, managed care and product knowledge training.
- Appropriately manage and maintain all company equipment and promotional materials (company literature, computer, etc.) according to necessary company guidelines.
- Attend all company-sponsored meetings as directed by company management (POAs, National Meetings, National/Regional Conventions, etc.).
Minimum Job Requirements
- BS/BA degree required.
- Minimum 7 years' experience within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Minimum 5 years successful sales experience in the hospital environment; anti-infective experience is preferred.
- Must successfully certify in product knowledge for the assigned product(s).
- Strong understanding of how hospital products are purchased, ordered and administered which include knowledge of the formulary process and reimbursement policies.
- Ability to understand and navigate hospital systems in order to gain access to key decision makers.
- Experience in building rapport and relationships within the institutional setting in order expand awareness and utilization of product(s) and make an immediate impact on healthcare professionals
- Demonstrated track record of successful facilitation of educational programs.
- Ability to communicate clinical data in order to demonstrate competence and communication of a high level scientific product.
- Successful hospital antibiotic launch experience is a plus.
- Successful experience in establishing hospital product formulary approval through P & T (pharmacy and therapeutic committees) within the IV antibiotic or related category.
- Successful experience with the coordination of account related events.
- Business to business experience and/or ability to demonstrate strong influencing skills.
- Documented record of performance and achievement.
- Excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Thrives in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate internally as a team member to deliver results.
- Proactive; can do approach, takes ownership of situations.
- Demonstrated self-starter, highly motivated, problem solving skills.
- Digital competence; ability to deliver presentations digitally using iPad.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Driving in a safe manner to daily meetings and appointments is required.
- Approximately 80% of travel required.
- Licenses / Certifications
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record and ability to pass a complete background check. Physical Demands
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Lift and pull up to fifteen (15) pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to drive or fly to various meetings and conventions.
- Overnight and/or weekend travel required.
- Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to articulate clearly and conduct verbal presentations with large and small audiences.
- Ability to travel via automobile and/or airplane.
- Ability to view video display terminal images
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and telephone.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time - up to four (4) hours at a time.
- Ability to lift, tug, pull up to fifteen (15) pounds.
Shionogi Inc. is an equal opportunity /affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other characteristic protected by law.