About the Department
The Commercial team leads all sales and marketing efforts for Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI’s) robust portfolio, which includes insulins, analogues, GLP1s, devices, Oral Anti Diabetics (OAD), obesity medications, biopharmaceuticals and new products in the pipeline. As part of the team, you will have frontline exposure to our brand and marketing vision, business strategies, launch and lifecycle plans, and critical market insights that drive our business forward. At Novo Nordisk, we are the world leader in diabetes care and a major player in hemostasis management, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. We use our skills, dedication and ambition to help people with diabetes, and we’re looking for individuals who want to do the same. In exchange, we offer the chance to be part of a truly global workplace, where passion and engagement are met with opportunities for professional and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
This position represents Novo Nordisk within an assigned territory. This position has a goal of cultivating strong professional relationships with healthcare providers, positioning Novo Nordisk as a leader in obesity care, understanding the local market and customer needs and positioning Novo Nordisk’s product and services to improve care of patients with obesity to maximize sales within an assigned territory. The Obesity Care Specialist (OCS) must achieve sales goals by implementing marketing and sales strategies aimed at effectively selling and promoting Novo Nordisk product(s) to physicians, pharmacists, nurses, other paramedical customers, employers and current co-promotion partners who make or are involved in purchasing and prescribing decisions. The OCS uses local knowledge, tools and resources to assess, create and maintain advocacy of customers aligned to company, brand and clinical goals. The OCS develops local strategies and executes local tactical plans to engage healthcare providers and actively move them along the advocacy continuum.
Externally, the OCS maintains relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses, other paramedical customers, employers, and current co-promotion partners. The OCS also assists their customers with their local clinical and educational initiatives by coordinating company resources to ensure an aligned approach to benefit improved patient health. Internally, the OCS reports to the District Business Manager (DBM) of the specific sales territory. The OCS also interacts and collaborates on a regular basis with other field-based employees covering the same geographic areas. The OCS actively shares information and plans to develop a common understanding of individual customers and overlapping market dynamics to ensure a coordinated approach.
- Execute sales strategies based on evaluation of customer needs, dynamics, trends, and competitors’ products or services
- Maintain required activity records/reports, including timely and accurate transmission of call data
- Understand the scientific and clinical underpinnings of brand strategies and the implications and importance of generating advocacy and support for them
- Partner with the Novo Nordisk Sales/Marketing Departments to maximize appropriate and effective use of selling materials and product information
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the clinical treatment of obesity and its comorbidities and complications by actively using approved resources to engage Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) in constructive and ongoing dialogue to support improved patient health
- Analyze and understand customers, local healthcare delivery and payment models, and the interdependencies among the various elements in the market to identify and leverage business opportunities
- Analyze impact of managed care in the territory and its effect on prescribing decisions, and modify customer engagement and sales strategies
- Effectively manage and prioritize time to ensure maximum customer penetration and sales volume with limited supervision
- Evaluate, identify, and develop order of calls and routes that maximize the opportunity to call on targeted customers
- Exercise prudent control over samples and other company property in accordance with company policies and procedures and legal requirements
- Manage discretionary budget to support sales and additional marketing activities
- Identify, develop, maintain, and leverage relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other individuals who make or influence purchasing/prescribing decisions
- Generate advocacy for Novo Nordisk products and services by sharing approved clinical and scientific information and insights
- Analyze and leverage understanding of the patient profiles of targeted and non-targeted physicians in the territory and how those profiles impact territory sales
- Arrange Interface programs and help prepare speakers to provide quality balanced and relevant presentation that support the educational objectives and align to audience needs
- Leverage understanding of impact of managed care in the territory and how it affects physicians’ prescribing decisions, and adjust sales and marketing strategies accordingly
- Effectively utilize all available resources to sell and promote Saxenda
- Impact the local retail market share through coordinating and implementing medical education activities, programs, and special projects
- Probe and listen to customers
- Read and react to customer environment. Determine appropriate messages to achieve maximum effect on each sales call
Driver must maintain a valid driver’s license. Must be in good standing by not exceeding the Novo Nordisk points threshold assigned based on review of Motor Vehicle Records.
- A bachelor’s degree required from college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education advanced degree preferred
- At least 2 years of pharmaceutical sales experience required
- Intermediate computer skills required (Windows, Word, Excel)
- Must be a self-starter and be able to evaluate options and make decisions on your own with minimal supervision
- Prior computer experience using sales data/call reporting software ideal
- Proven leadership and decision-making ability
- Solid understanding of obesity disease state and NNI product(s) is needed, coupled with aptitude for learning and ability to communicate technical and scientific product and disease management information
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 59294BR
Job Category: Sales