Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry leaders ensuring the scientific value of our products is understood. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure a thorough understanding of the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to support collaboration to further differentiate our portfolio.
The Thoracic Regional Medical Scientific Director, RMSD, is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease expert who engages in scientific exchange with leaders in the external medical and scientific community. Scientific exchange does not include promotional claims about any drug, vaccine or biologic product. RMSDs provide to Scientific Leaders (SLs) balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to the company. The RMSD provides research support to our Investigator-Sponsored and Company-Sponsored Trials to enhance the understanding of the scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts for a given study or address Investigator questions. RMSDs also respond to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about company products. RMSDs have no sales objectives or accountability for prescribing or sales of any company product and are required to avoid any situations that could create the appearance that they have such responsibilities. An RMSD may not comment on or make suggestions with respect to the diagnosis, treatment, or circumstances of a specific patient.
· Develop professional relationships and communicate with national and regional scientific leaders to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and company products.
· Conduct peer to peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with those scientific leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within the company.
· Upon request from Global Clinical Trial Operations (GCTO), support Company-Sponsored Trials to enhance the understanding of scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts or address investigator questions.
-May initiate discussion with potential investigators to determine the level of interest and qualifications for a specific compound or trial.
-Recommend potential study sites to Global Clinical Trial Operations (GCTO)/Clinical Research.
-Address requests from investigators for information regarding participation in our Research and Development Division's studies.
-Address scientific questions.
· Upon request from Global Center for Scientific Affairs (GCSA), support company Investigator-Sponsored studies to enhance the understanding of the scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts or address investigator questions.
-Share the company's "˜areas of interest' and discuss study concepts to assess scientific merit and alignment with the company's research strategies.
-Respond to unsolicited requests for assistance from potential investigators in submitting research proposals by providing internal guidelines or technical and scientific advice.
-Review headquarters-directed education and training to maintain current knowledge and understanding of dynamic scientific and clinical environment in the company's areas of interest.
· Direct scientific leader inquiries on issues outside of RMSD scope of responsibilities (e.g., grants) to appropriate company resources consistent with applicable policies.
· When requested by our Research and Development Division, serve as a resource for the identification of potential investigators for consideration for participating in phase II-IV clinical development programs
· In response to unsolicited requests from scientific leaders, provide areas of interest and general high-level information regarding the company Investigator Study Program process.
· Serve as a role model for other field medical team members, including on-boarding and/or therapeutic training partner.
· Attend scientific and medical meetings.
Education Minimum Requirement:
· PhD, PharmD, MD
Required Experience and Skills**:
· Clinical (patient care) or deep research experience in assigned therapeutic area(s) beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program.
· A minimum of 3 years' experience and proven therapeutic competence in the disease area. Capable of conducting doctoral level discussions with key external stakeholders
· Strong focus on scientific education and dialogue
· Business and market knowledge, including quality management.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and networking skills
· Must possess a thorough understanding of FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its customers.
· Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
· Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
Preferred Experience and Skills:
· Field-based medical experience
· Clinical research experience
· Demonstrated record of scientific/medical publication
Territory will include Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, MI, IN, KY.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: