Requisition ID: DIR025992
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The Oncology Specialty Representative (OSR) is a key member of the customer facing organization and plays a critical role in supporting Merck's customer centric business model.
He/she is responsible for working with the Customer Team to understand and identify customer needs, support pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, and ensure that Merck is viewed as demonstrating value and better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients. In addition, the OSR demonstrates the highest level of product and disease knowledge and proficiently employs selling and account management competencies.
This position reports to a Customer Team Leader within the US Oncology Sales Organization.
This territory covers: San Diego, CA to Palm Springs
The ideal location to reside is in the territory or within close proximity to the territory.
Travel (%) varies based on candidate's location within the geography.
- Communicate about product in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customize discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engage in informed discussions about products with HCP customers - knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Within select customer accounts, act as primary point of contact for customer, meet with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (MCO, employers, state and local regulations)/network structure, customer needs and identifies business opportunities
- For select customer accounts/HCPs, coordinate with customer team to develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
- Share learnings and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs
- Demonstrate a focus on better health outcomes (beyond acquisition, considers the HCP & patient experience)
- Provide input into resource allocation decisions across customers
- Identify and select programs/services available in the library of Merck "resources" to address customer needs
- Maintain current understanding of practice structure, business model, key influencers/ network structure and make information available to relevant stakeholders
- Influence beyond their specific geography or product area
- Demonstrate advanced ability to ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer needs from all stakeholders in oncology accounts, using the insights to position Merck Oncology brands and collaborate with customers on a customized strategy.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of how to create a compelling and logical rationale for the value of products and how to contrast, compare, and positions Merck brand(s) versus competition using appropriate proof sources. Oncology science is complex with need to be expert in multiple tumor types, disease states, and palliative care.
- OSRs need to have knowledge of staging and possible treatment options and dosing schedules associated with different tumors/diseases, with comprehensive understanding of the impact of those options on the patient. Must understand impact and use of clinical trials in multiple tumor types/therapies, both in impact on promoted products and in practice behavior of the account.
- Demonstrate ability to understand complex account interdependencies in order to develop both short- and long-term account plans in conjunction with a wide array of stakeholders, proactively working with the account team to effectively execute the account plan.
- Able to divide a customer base into customer segments and apply the insights to effectively allocate marketing resources and drive execution of the sales and marketing plans. Need to manage complex customer landscape and juggle multiple business models - PSAs, academic and community hospitals, community oncology products, IHS, referral networks.
- Understand and articulate the impact of various choices in the oncology payer environment, including the implications of multiple payers (Medicare Part B vs Part D, DMERC pharmacies, commercial payers). Reps must also understand the available resources for indigent/uninsured, under insured patients as well as patient support programs and foundations (both Merck's as well as third party resources).
- OSRs must understand and be able to appropriately communicate the billing and reimbursement process for oncology products (process for billing relative to J Codes and unspecified J Codes)
- Ability to analyze and identify trends in a complex buying environment. This includes the multiple channels of drug distribution, Oncology GPO's, wholesalers and specialty pharmacies. Review and evaluate patterns for products purchased and prescribed, outpatient vs in-patient infusion, as part of hospital contract, etc.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with extended "in-scope" customer team to ensure a consistent customer experience across Merck's divisions and functional areas; ensure integration with the OKAM, Reimbursement Managers, extended Merck sales teams (US Market and Merck Vaccines), and other key stakeholders to share key customer learnings and support customer needs.
- OSRs are responsible for the appropriate prioritization, scheduling and engagement of the Reimbursement Associates and Nurse Educators within their assigned accounts.
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/MS
- Minimum (5) years alone or combined, pharmaceutical Sales/Marketing or Health Science industry, or direct Medical/Clinical experience in an oncology setting
- Documented history of strong performance in a sales/marketing or Oncology clinical role
- Demonstration of strategic and execution oriented competencies
- Ability to analyze metrics to assess progress against sales/marketing or clinical objectives
- Valid Driver's license
- Successful experience in Hospital or Specialty Sales
- Oncology Sales experience
- Experience establishing new customer relationships
- Completion of an Oncology Sales and Marketing training course
- Successful experience in Oncology Access, Payer and Coverage environment
- Oncology Launch experience
- Clinical Oncology experience across multiple solid tumors
- Understanding of Headquarter Operations
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Direct Sales Generic ONC
Other Locations: Palm Springs, CA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Diego