About the Department
The Commercial team leads all sales and marketing efforts for Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI’s) robust portfolio, which includes insulins, analogues, GLP1s, devices, Oral Anti Diabetics (OAD), obesity medications, biopharmaceuticals and new products in the pipeline. As part of the team, you will have frontline exposure to our brand and marketing vision, business strategies, launch and lifecycle plans, and critical market insights that drive our business forward. At Novo Nordisk, we are the world leader in diabetes care and a major player in hemostasis management, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. We use our skills, dedication and ambition to help people with diabetes, and we’re looking for individuals who want to do the same. In exchange, we offer the chance to be part of a truly global workplace, where passion and engagement are met with opportunities for professional and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
This position represents Novo Nordisk within an assigned territory with the goal of maximizing sales and positioning Novo Nordisk as the leading company in diabetes care. The Diabetes Care Specialist (DCS) must assume responsibility for achieving sales goals by implementing marketing and sales strategies aimed at effectively selling and promoting Novo Nordisk’s portfolio of diabetes products to physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other paramedical customers and current co-promotion partners who make or are involved in purchasing and prescribing decisions. This position also determines and recommends the most appropriate Novo Nordisk product and approved usage for the needs of the customers.
Externally, the DCS maintains relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses and other paramedical customers and current co-promotion partners.
Internally, the DCS reports to the District Business Manager (DBM) of the specific sales territory. The DCS also interacts and collaborates on a regular basis with other field-based employees covering the same geographic areas, particularly the territory partner.
- Communicate territory activity through timely submission of monthly highlight reports and other appropriate reports
- Participate in and contribute to sales and marketing meetings, training programs, conventions and displays as appropriate
- Partner with the Novo Nordisk Sales/Marketing Departments to maximize appropriate and effective use of selling materials and product information
- Provide recommendations towards sales and marketing solutions based on understanding and evaluation of trends, dynamics, customer needs, and competitors’ products or services
- Record notes of calls, including products discussed, key issues and concerns addressed, sales aids utilized, samples distributed, and any other information that will ensure maximum effectiveness for future sales calls
- Continuously promote and improve knowledge of Novo Nordisk’s products, competitive products, and sales and promotional skills through participation in company sponsored/approved training programs
- Educate physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other members of patients’ primary care team on diabetes and the use of Novo Nordisk’s products, including the approved uses and benefits of Novo Nordisk’s products for their patients
- Understand the most up-to-date clinical studies to educate customers and improve ability to anticipate and handle questions/concerns about Novo Nordisk’s products
- Analyse, determine, and implement most effective distribution of product samples in territory
- Effectively manage and prioritize time to ensure maximum customer penetration and sales volume with limited supervision
- Evaluate, identify, and develop order of calls and routes that maximize the opportunity to call on targeted customers
- Exercise prudent control over samples and other company property in accordance with company policies and procedures and legal requirements
- Manage discretionary budget to support sales and additional marketing activities
- Analyze and leverage understanding of the patient profiles of targeted and non-targeted physicians in the territory and how those profiles impact territory sales
- Evaluate and determine which individuals have greatest opportunity to impact sales and use personalized communication techniques to build and maintain effective relationships with those individuals
- Identify and respond to obstacles to use of Novo Nordisk’s products
- Leverage understanding of impact of managed care in the territory and how it affects physicians’ prescribing decisions, and adjust sales and marketing strategies accordingly
- Develop a customized approach for each call on each customer to assess customer needs and increase sales of Novo Nordisk’s products
- Effectively utilize all available resources to sell and promote Novo Nordisk’s products, including determining which resources to use in any given situation
- Explain and promote features and benefits of Novo Nordisk’s portfolio of products, with an emphasis on which products are best suited for particular patient profiles or circumstances
- Impact the local retail market share through coordinating and implementing medical education activities, programs, and special projects
- Obtain maximum commitment from customers on every call
- Probe and listen to customers, including anticipating and responding to customers’ questions, objections, and concerns
- Read and react to customer environment. Determine appropriate messages to achieve maximum effect on each sales call
Driver must maintain a valid driver’s license. Must be in good standing by not exceeding the Novo Nordisk points threshold assigned based on review of Motor Vehicle Records.
- A bachelor’s degree required from college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education advanced degree preferred
- At least one year of outside sales experience required, equivalent or relevant Novo Nordisk experience
- Intermediate computer skills required (Windows, Word, Excel)
- Must be a self-starter and be able to evaluate options and make decisions on your own with minimal supervision
- Prior computer experience using sales data/call reporting software ideal
- Proven leadership and decision-making ability
- Solid understanding of diabetes disease state and Novo Nordisk’s products is needed, coupled with aptitude for learning and ability to communicate technical and scientific product and disease management information
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 59305BR
Job Category: Sales