This is an open continuous announcement. Multiple vacancies exist and may be filled from this announcement at any of the locations listed. We accept applications on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available.
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD Workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:
You will be working at the William Beaumont Army Medical Center, located at El Paso, TX.
- A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
- May be required to work weekend call duties and evenings.
- May include shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends, holidays).
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Perform medical screening examinations.
- Order and prescribe medications in accordance with approved treatment protocols.
- Secure health and medical history from the patient or family member, records findings and makes clinical evaluation.
- Provide consultation, teaching, and coordination with patients and their family members of treatment and medical care.
- Discriminate between normal and abnormal findings to recognize early stages of serious physical, emotional or mental problems.
- Supervisory positions will supervise clinical staff, which includes military and/or civilian Physician Assistants (PA), paraprofessional, and administrative personnel.
- Supervisory positions will assign work to subordinates based on priorities, difficulty of assignments, and capabilities of employees.
- Supervisory positions will provide administrative and technical guidance to subordinates.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Degree: Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARCPA), or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
Certification: Successful completion of the National Commission of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience as a certified physician assistant which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: performing physical examinations on patients as well as, reviewing medical history, prescribing medications, interpreting lab results, or diagnosing medical conditions. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
• Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
• Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- This is an Inclement Weather Essential position: Incumbent is expected to make every attempt to report for duty on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- A Childcare Background Check (CNACI) is required. This position has a specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require contact with children.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.