Our Manufacturing Operations teams are the people that make our products. We work in the manufacturing plants with a "Safety First, Quality Always" mindset striving for continuous improvement. We work in the local plant connected to our global manufacturing network to ensure the highest quality of raw materials, intermediates and finished products.
We are seeking Growth and Improvement minded Pipefitters that can help drive our Strategic Operating Priorities.
- Invent | Pursue the Most Promising Internal and External Science to Address Significant Unmet Medical Needs
- Execute | Prioritize Resources Behind Our Key Growth Drivers (Oncology, Vaccines, Select Specialty Areas, Animal Health) While Optimizing Our Base Business)
- Adapt | Develop Our People, Culture and Business Model to Evolve with a Dynamic Landscape
- Diverse Talent | We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment with supporting leadership behaviors because having a high-performing, engaged workforce is critical to our ability to deliver innovative solutions to patients and customers around the world
- Values and Standards | Our Steadfast Commitment to Our Values and Standards will Continue to Guide Us as We Take on New Challenges and Will Always be Fundamental to Our Success - They are a Competitive Advantage for Us
Summary, Focus and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Maintenance and Utilities management, or a designated lead, the Pipefitter installs and maintains all piping and plumbing in the facility and will complete maintenance on any equipment or facilities which their skills support in a compliant manner. Pipefitters are part of the Mechanical Technician work group and will primarily share work assignments within their job grouping with no inherent or "system imposed" limits.
Based on business needs, Mechanical Technicians will drive maintenance activities including crossing between job groupings where skills are common. Work assignments, buildings, and equipment are not exclusive to any craft, job grouping, or employee in the M&U departments. Position may include some responsibility for maintaining significant business systems (e.g. CMMS data, planning, procurement and scheduling) including the authority to assign, coordinate and maintain work for others.
Additional Key Functions
- Working from blueprints, drawings, sketches, CMMS driven work orders, or other instructions | Reference manufacturer's equipment manuals
- Installs, lays out, bends, cuts, threads and joins pipe and fitting that will withstand steam, gas, hydraulic, vacuum, water or air pressure, or process materials. Installs and maintains drainage, waste and vent systems
- Handles and installs pipes of various materials such as but not limited to: stainless steel, glass, iron, steel, aluminum, synthetic materials, PVC or similar, copper, etc.
- Cuts access holes to install pipe through floors and walls, using suitable tools
- Fabricates and fits pipe hangers and supports to walls and ceilings, etc.
- Acid clean coils, equipment and pressure vessels
- Visually inspects pressure and vacuum gauges, recommends repair and completes work
- Maintains restroom facilities including handicapped fixtures with appurtenances and washroom fixtures in first-class operational condition
- Installs temporary insulation where needed upon the completion of repairs to piping
- Installs, inspects, maintains, repairs or replaces pipes, pipelines, filters, steam traps, strainers, valves, etc. | Installs and replaces safety valves, relief valves, rupture discs, pressure regulators, conservation vents, flame arrestors, etc.
- Tests equipment and piping for pressure and leaks
- Attend and actively participates in HAZOPS, waste walkthroughs, Kaizen events, or any other operations, lean six-sigma, quality, safety or environmental training/initiatives
- Prepares and assists technicians, supervisors and planners in preparing labor and material estimates
- May assist supervision with the assigning, scheduling and prioritization of work order requests using the CMMS
- Makes recommendations and prepares orders for spare parts, additional stock room items, tools, etc.
- Consults with Supervision and other mechanics on problem resolution/troubleshooting | Keeps Supervision informed of problem issues
- Write, execute, and complete safety permits
- Miscellaneous hand and power operated tools for pipe cutting, pipe grooving, threading and turning, power driven pipe cutting and threading machines, oxyacetylene equipment (for uses exclusive of welding or cutting), LPG torches, pipe clean out machine, etc. Test equipment for steam, potable water, fire protection, etc. Drill press and miscellaneous shop equipment, acid treating equipment.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) with completion of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent OR
- Graduate of a recognized pipefitter/plumber trade school with subjects that include blueprint reading, plumbing and various industrial piping systems (steam, gas air potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.) OR
- Verified Military training equivalent to a recognized/accredited trade school or journeyman apprenticeship program
- Three years of recent full-time experience as a journeyman pipefitter/plumber and must include installing and repairing a broad range of industrial piping systems (steam, gas, air, potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.) OR Completion of four years of on-the job training as part of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent OR Three years recent (within the last 7 years) full-time military experience as a pipefitter/plumber
- Ability to read and work from blueprints, drawings, sketches, etc.
Some heavy lifting, heat and cold, use of solvents, subject to immunizations, dirt and dust, safety shoes and glasses, respirators, works in trenches, works from ladders and scaffold. May be required to carry a pager or a radio.
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day, 2nd - Evening, 3rd - Night
Valid Driving License: