Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
FUNCTION: Including but not limited to
Under the supervision of the Maintenance and Utilities management, or a designated lead, installs and maintains all piping and plumbing in the facility. Pipefitters will perform maintenance on any equipment or facilities which their skills support in a compliant manner. Pipefitters are part of the Mechanical Technician work group and will primarily share work assignments within their job grouping with no inherent or “system imposed” limits. Based on business needs, Mechanical Technicians will perform maintenance activities including crossing between job groupings where skills are common. Work assignments, buildings, and equipment are not exclusive to any craft, job grouping, or employee in the M&U departments. Position may include some responsibility for maintaining significant business systems (e.g. CMMS data, planning, procurement and scheduling) including the authority to assign, coordinate and maintain work for others.
EQUIPMENT: Including but not limited to
Miscellaneous hand and power operated tools for pipe cutting, pipe grooving, threading and turning, power driven pipe cutting and threading machines, oxyacetylene equipment (for uses exclusive of welding or cutting), LPG torches, pipe clean out machine, etc. Test equipment for steam, potable water, fire protection, etc. Drill press and miscellaneous shop equipment, acid treating equipment.
DUTIES: Including but not limited to
1. Working from blueprints, drawings, sketches, CMMS driven work orders, or other instructions. Reference manufacturer’s equipment manuals.
2. Installs, lays out, bends, cuts, threads and joins pipe and fitting that will withstand steam, gas, hydraulic, vacuum, water or air pressure, or process materials. Installs and maintains drainage, waste and vent systems. Handles and installs pipes of various materials such as but not limited to: stainless steel, glass, iron, steel, aluminum, synthetic materials, PVC or similar, copper, etc.
3. Cuts access holes to install pipe through floors and walls, using suitable tools.
4. Fabricates and fits pipe hangers and supports to walls and ceilings, etc.
5. Acid clean coils, equipment and pressure vessels, as instructed.
6. Visually inspects pressure and vacuum gauges, recommends repair and performs work as necessary or directed.
7. Maintains restroom facilities including handicapped fixtures with appurtenances and washroom fixtures in first-class operational condition.
8. Installs temporary insulation where needed upon the completion of repairs to piping.
9. Installs, inspects, maintains, repairs or replaces pipes, pipelines, filters, steam traps, strainers, valves, etc. Installs and replaces safety valves, relief valves, rupture discs, pressure regulators, conservation vents, flame arrestors, etc.
10. Tests equipment and piping for pressure and leaks.
11. Attend and actively participates in HAZOPS, waste walkthroughs, Kaizen events, or any other operations, lean six-sigma, quality, safety or environmental training/initiatives, as required.
12. Prepares and assists technicians, supervisors and planners in preparing labor and material estimates.
13. May assist supervision with the assigning, scheduling and prioritization of work order requests using the CMMS.
14. Makes recommendations and prepares orders for spare parts, additional stock room items, tools, etc.
15. Consults with Supervision and other mechanics on problem resolution/troubleshooting. Keeps Supervision informed of problem issues.
16. Write, execute, and complete safety permits.
High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)
1. Completion of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent
2. Graduate of a recognized pipefitter/plumber trade school with subjects that include blueprint reading, plumbing and various industrial piping systems (steam, gas air potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.)
3. Verified Military training equivalent to a recognized/accredited trade school or journeyman apprenticeship program.
1. Three years of recent full-time experience as a journeyman pipefitter/plumber. Experience must include installing and repairing a broad range of industrial piping systems (steam, gas, air, potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.).
2. Completion of four years of on-the job training as part of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent.
3. Three years recent (within the last 7 years) full-time military experience as a pipefitter/plumber.
Equipment or Machinery Operated:
Miscellaneous hand operated tools for pipe cutting threading, joining and turning; power driven pipe cutting grooving and threading machines, oxyacetylene equipment, LPG torches, pipe cleanout machine, Pro-press or similar joining equipment, etc.
Special Skills or Abilities:
Ability to read and work from blueprints, drawings, sketches, etc.
Special Job Features:
Some heavy lifting, heat and cold, use of solvents, subject to immunizations, dirt and dust, safety shoes and glasses, respirators, works in trenches, works from ladders and scaffold. May be required to carry a pager or a radio.
Required to take immunizations as prescribed by our Health Services Department.
Must wear Company issued uniform per company SOP.
Position is subject to a probationary period.
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: