Vir is a clinical-stage immunology company with a compelling mission: "A World Without Infectious Disease". We are focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies. We have assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Our current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
This Scientist I position is offered by the Center of Excellence for Translational Research Program and is anticipated to have an emphasis on autophagy, Interferon, and Norovirus biology.
At Vir Biotechnology, we see the world differently - we envision a world without infectious disease. We cannot further our mission without dedicating ourselves to training and inspiring the next generation of scientific leaders, through both internally developing our employees and providing an opportunity for research training. This position offers an exciting opportunity for talented scientists to join our teams at Vir, perform cutting-edge research under the guidance of our world class scientists and mentors, answer fundamental scientific questions that will lead to drug discovery and to participate in cross functional teams that will help foster understanding of the drug discovery and development process. We want to train people who will make significant contributions to the future of science, regardless of whether they chose industry, government, non-profit organizations, or academia as a future career.
- Investigate host-pathogen interaction, with an emphasis on understanding autophagy and norovirus biology, to develop novel therapeutics or prophylactic medicines.
- Design and perform laboratory studies to identify cellular and immune mechanisms responsible for prevention and control of diverse infections.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge CRISPR screening experiments to identify novel targets for host-directed therapeutics or prophylactic medicines.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of scientific methods, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity.
- Maintain accurate records of experimental details and results.
- Work as a key part of a team with broad expertise and shared goals.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A doctoral-level degree with a strong background in some combination of microbiology, virology, cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, immunology and/or computational biology.
- Publications in well-respected peer-reviewed journals.
- Must be a creative critical thinker.
- Experience in studies of innate immunity, autophagy, noroviruses, other viruses and/or CRISPR screening technology is a plus.
- Applicants should have a PhD, MD or equivalent degree in a relevant field prior to their appointment.
- 0-2 years Post PhD experience
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.