Requisition ID: POS000280
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Be a part of the legacy: MRL Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow in Experimental and Chemical Biology at the Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Exploratory Science Center (ESC) Cambridge you will work with a highly collaborative, innovative, lab-based, creative, and fast-paced research team. Specifically, you will conceptualize, design, and execute novel cellular chemistry and chemical biology methods to probe and elucidate protein function within the immune synapse. This effort will result in a higher resolution understanding of how proteins functionally impact immune synapse signaling.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Develop protein-small molecule conjugates for probing immune synapse
- Design and execute two-cell system assays to profile immune synapse function
- Identify, adopt, and implement innovative chemistry-based technologies into cell-based systems
- Act as a scientific leader from the bench, driving research, strategies, and ideas to completion
- Contribute to the collective knowledge of multidisciplinary teams through extensive idea exchange and collaboration
- Stay current on emerging technologies and provide scientific mentoring and technical training of team members as appropriate
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A PhD with less than (3) years of postdoctoral experience OR graduating with a PhD by summer of 2019.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Strong background in chemical synthesis
- Strong expertise in mammalian cell culture and assays
- Proven track record of productive bench science
- Rigorous scientific thinking and effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong publication record
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in novel protein chemistry and cell-based experiments
- Experience with modern synthetic organic methodologies, demonstrate critical thinking and trouble-shooting when handling challenging synthesis
- Experience with activity and affinity based probe synthesis and application to cells or tissues
- A team player who works effectively within a diverse team of co-workers and across disciplines
- Passionate about biomedical research and publishing scientific efforts
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston