Requisition ID: POS000263
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Be a part of the legacy: MRL Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow in Merck Research Labs Discovery Oncology group based in Boston, MA, you will work with a highly collaborative team of scientists to design, develop and validate novel cytokine-based therapies in in vivo tumor models and ex vivo/in vitro assays to elucidate the immunological consequences of resistance to cancer immunotherapy at the cellular and molecular levels. This work will provide an in-depth understanding of the roles of cytokines and other immune-modulatory payloads in overcoming resistance to immune checkpoint blockade therapies in the context of next-generation tumor immunotherapies and combination strategies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Employing in vivo mouse models to address questions related to the mechanisms associated with resistance to tumor immunotherapies.
- Performing immune-phenotyping and gene profiling experiments using a variety of techniques including but not limited to multi-parameter flow cytometry, CyTOF, and mRNA profiling (e.g. single cell RNA-seq).
- Collaborating with Merck and external scientists conducting in vivo tumor model studies to correlate and validate in vitro assays.
- Data interpretation, manuscript preparation, publication and presentation of results
- Contribute to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A PhD with less than (3) years of postdoctoral experience OR graduating with a PhD by summer of 2019.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Multi-parameter flow cytometry
- Proficiency in ex vivo/in vitro assays to test T cell function
- Ability to conceive, design, execute and communicate complex experiments in the field of tumor immunology as evidenced by a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Must be an independent and self-motivated scientist
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Tumor immunology/Cancer immunotherapy
- Experience with tumor model systems
- Experience studying Immune Checkpoint Blockade Resistance
- T Cell Exhaustion
- Cytokine Therapies
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston